Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - i've been having a good rake through the forum as i'm interested in getting a v class - i'm well impressed with the knowledge and enthusiasm on here. I've had a look at VW caravelles but they seem to be a bit overpriced - probably due to the VW scene as a whole.

anyway - i've had a wee search through looking for some sort of buyers guide but haven't found anything - 1st question - is there one? if there isnt then can someone give me some pointers on what to look for.

which model is the best to go for 220,230 or 280?
whats the fuel consumption like?
air or spring conversion?
what parts are more likely to need replacing?
I do all my own work so how easy are they to work on?
what sort of price should i be paying for an earlier model?

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome !

This is just my opinions so take as such ... :cool:

I also have a VW car and find the VAG forums OK but not as active or responsive as this one, they are helpful but I must admit I do care more about my V-class than my TDI ...

Buyers guides for these are a bit hard as they are less common than "normal" cars but they do have a long list of common faults. Which in most cases can be rectified yourself with a little patience and a few tools.

Rust is possibly the biggest issue, once it starts on the outside you don't want to look underneath where it really matters, it will be worse. Needless to say try and find one with the least outside as possible but most will have some.

Personally I prefer to torque and fuel economy of a V220CDi which I have, usually get just under 35MPG and it only chucks out 215 g/km of CO2 which beats a lot of cars !!

Others seem to go for the petrol as it is a lot easier to deal with your self, the CDI is a bit of a pig and has no room to work on you have to take stuff out just to look at parts normally. However I would still go for them personally (just to note CDI's only started in 1999 whereas petrol's are from 1996)

I think the whole springs or air is a bit over blown (please do crucify me for this statement ...) but the air suspension is good when it works and unless the compressor has completely gone or one of the cushions it is actually quite easy to fix (in most instances)

Try and avoid around 1996 when they first came out as they were built too well and are prone to horrific rust and other problems.

As you have found most on here are more than happy to give you more advice than you asked for ...... ha ha ....

Price, I can't say I don't live in the UK anymore but still have my left hander, I just scare people sitting the wrong side !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 98 v230 ambiente its great had a few problems like most people but seem quite easy to sort as for consumption i pickup people from airport regular its excellent it hardly seems to move maybe faulty ha ha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, good thinking to buy a V-class instead of VW.
My advice is to look for a V220 made late 2001, with the lighter passenger seat arrangement. The seats weigh about 12kg less than the predecessor, and it also comes with a nice folding tray table.
But the most important thing about this fact is the mods in the engine, it's oil and cooling channels are improved as well as the ECU software.
regarding the ENR(air susp.) maintain and keep it. It's tuned to work together with the front susp., the coil conversion are Vito and there's a difference in the charactheristics between V-class and Vito I'we been told.
A great place to buy part for the air susp.
V-Klasse-Presser.de Ersatz und Zubehör für den Kompressor / ENR der V Klasse und Vito

Good luck in Your search for a good car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts