Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

After reading the successful diagnostic journey by E320Project using a free software, HFMScan and OBD USB cables, adapted to W124, I would like to see if other people have better ideas to pull all these together, hardware and software. This tool could be the next best thing to find out why our engine is not running the way it supposes to run. This would end endless speculations and many machine gun suggestions, thus avoiding many unnecessary parts replacements.

Below is the website which describes fully what are needed. The problems are that the cables are only available from a supplier in Europe. The combination of a KKL 901 USB/OBD cable and a breakout cable 4 coloars is the best. E320Project uses a different combination of cables (Please share). I wonder if anybody have other solutions to put the cables together.

Diagnostic Mercedes, HFM-SFI, read fault code, program, W124, W202

jftu105

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, this is what E320Project shared with me with his solutions in cables:

I had the same issue and shipping from Europe was pretty expensive. I bought the OBDII breakout box off Ebay like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SHIP-Benz...590383&vxp=mtr
You can get the same one off Ebay for $16, but it will come direct from China.

I got the OBDII to USB adapter off Amazon for $12:

I had an OBDII to USB cable for my Toyota, but I guess you need this specific type (VAG) since my Toyota one didn't work. The software gives more info than the OBDI stuff and is a little less cumbersome to use.

I am not sure how they all worked together. E320Project may share more insights, and hopefully with pictures to illustrate how everything is fit together.

jftu105

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure why the links above didn't work, but here is one that should work: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/VIMVIP-VAG-COM-409-1-Scanner-Volkswagen/dp/B00K6498D0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444591674&sr=8-2&keywords=obd2+vag"]Amazon.com : VIMVIP VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 USB Cable Auto Scanner Scan Tool Audi VW SEAT Volkswagen : Car [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@5177SxqgXnL[/ame]

breakout box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-Sprinter-Breakout-Box-OBD2-EOBD-Breakout-Box-Tester-Pin-Out-Diagnostic-Pinout-/281730187496?hash=item41986d80e8&item=281730187496&vxp=mtr

A breakout cable like the one from Europe is less cumbersome than a breakout box. But the breakout box is cheap and I figured I may need it for other projects. You connect the USB/OBD2 adapter to the breakout box. Then, using banana plug cables, you connect to 4/5 (ground), 16 (12V), and I think #7 pins on the breakout box. Then hook them up to the 1, 8, and 16 pins on the car's OBDI box.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello!
You can buy any VAG COM 409.1 (ebay.com to cost 5 USD).
You can buy additional OBD cable audi 2x2, and the store 3 banana plugs.
Connect the bananas to cable OBD and no problems.
Bananas on Amazon:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Speaker-Cable-Banana-Connector/dp/B00WW4II10/ref=sr_1_69?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444634935&sr=1-69&keywords=banana+cable"]Amazon.com: Audio Speaker Wire Cable 5mm Male Banana Plug Connector 6pcs: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@4187lcWpZbL[/ame]

For example - early I connected the wires.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello!
You can buy any VAG COM 409.1 (ebay.com to cost 5 USD).
You can buy additional OBD cable audi 2x2, and the store 3 banana plugs.
Connect the bananas to cable OBD and no problems.
Bananas on Amazon:Amazon.com: Audio Speaker Wire Cable 5mm Male Banana Plug Connector 6pcs: [email]Electronics

For example - early I connected the wires.

Mike.K, Thanks for the information. I went with VAG 409.1 on eBay and an extension cord of OBD2 on eBay, last night before reading your post. I went with US sellers so that I don't have to wait for a month or two to get items. I planed to splice the extension cord and add banana jacks myself.

I think you have done a great service to the W124 drivers. The fee to the live data is well deserved.

You may want to consider putting together a kit, with everything (including a software CD), for the members of this forum. Therefore, people can get it in one source, without the need to hunt down things from different sources. It would help a lot of people and make your software an indispensable tool for us all.

I will report back my experience once I have everything together. All my three E320, 1994 are doing great, except I am still puzzled by my blue E320 for peculiar problem. Sometimes, if I restart the engine right after a long drive, the engine will idle at over 1000 rpm, not coming down at all. If I shut it and wait for a while, it would be back to normal. It has to be temperature related but I tested the coolant temperature sensor, with it on or off, and cannot reproduce what is happening. The obvious suspects: throttle body and harness, have been replaced. I hope your HFMScan can help solving this mystery for me.

jftu105

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder why W124 is so well researched in Russia. The website with the most complete electric wiring diagrams for E320, 1994-5 is also established in Russia.

I will report back my experience of using HFMScan once I get my setup going.

jftu105

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will report back my experience once I have everything together. All my three E320, 1994 are doing great, except I am still puzzled by my blue E320 for peculiar problem. Sometimes, if I restart the engine right after a long drive, the engine will idle at over 1000 rpm, not coming down at all. If I shut it and wait for a while, it would be back to normal. It has to be temperature related but I tested the coolant temperature sensor, with it on or off, and cannot reproduce what is happening. The obvious suspects: throttle body and harness, have been replaced. I hope your HFMScan can help solving this mystery for me.
If the problem occurs when the scanner is connected, I think you(we) will see the reason ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Mike.K
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing