Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
08 CLS 550 Sport, '05 Z4, '65 Shelby Cobra 427SC
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you do the #1 pad drop?
Last I remember, you were headed to a friend's house in search of a spring compressor...

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
I admit....I'm a procrastinator. Acutally, my buddy has been busy and I haven't had a chance to get over there. I have the pads sitting in my car and I'll probably get to them this week.

On that note, Wil (wmr120, or something like that) told me he found a better way to change the pads that would only take 15 minutes per wheel. I told him to post it but he's been really busy lately and might not post it anytime soon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
15 minutes a wheel???
Does it involve plastic explosives?

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
No clue....he didn't tell me at all so I hope he posts it soon.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Well I went over to my buddies place. Unfortunately his spring compressor wouldn't work on my car. Not enough room in there. Well, I take that back. They fit, but the screw would run into stuff. So, now I'm either back to having to pay someone to do it or finding out a better way. Any ideas without completely taking things apart thus requiring an alignment?

Also, I have no clue what you guys are talking about as far as bumps on top of the pad. I couldn't feel a thing or even get some fingers in there. Either the two of us who looked at it are completely lost or well....I don't know what else.

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
there are bumps on the SIDE of the pad not the top. You dont even have to take the pad out to see them. Anyway, all you have to do is get a spring compressor tool that fits. Compress spring, remove old pad, put in new, and just slowly uncompress spring. Very quick and easy.
Edit: you only have to compres the spring enough to take pad in and out. Maybe you can just compress half the spring or 3/4 if the screw is running into stuff.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Yeah, that was basically our plan but there definitely wasn't enough room to work. I don't know. My friend said he bought the most heavy duty one's he could. Maybe that had something to do with it. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone else that has them though. Of course I guess I could buy them. Guess I'll have to research that.

Wow!!!! Over $1000 for the Klann spring compressor?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That's nucking futs!!!!

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
When my springs were changed the mercedes (now at rennetch) technician used an internal spring compressor with an airgun similar to the one you posted. I thought that was what you had.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Nope, the one I had was an external one that looked much bulkier than that. Guess I'll buy the internal one and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bumps we were talking about are on the flat side (the bottom) of the pad. The rounded edge goes up in the cup. The bumps stick out from the bottom... easy to see them when they're out, although they look like something left over from the injection molding process.

Bank on getting an alignment when it's finished.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
...lemmie know if it works for you, I am about to bring my car to someone to do this for me and i will wait if I can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts