Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
You can use regular in a pinch, but you will get worse mileage and less power, with possible long-term engine damage. All this information is in the owner's manual. Read it.

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
910 Posts
Nothing but premium goes in mine.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
You're looking in the wrong area. Look behind the fuel flap... Clearly states only premium unleaded should be used.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
You're not saving any money by doing that though. As previously stated you will only get worse gas mileage. You end up spending just as much on the regular as far as a mileage stand point goes, and it can damage the engine at the same time... Not trying to cut you down man, but just avoid regular all together. The only time you should use regular if you don't have access to any premium fuel. Such as on a long trip, and you end up in some small town on the way where you have to fill up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I actually haven't checked on this car, but on two previous cars that required premium, I found that the difference in MPG was bigger than the difference in cost. On the flipside, if you have a car that does not require premium, it is often cheaper to run regular as it contains more energy per gallon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a c-300 and a chev truck. I started using synthetic oil in the chev and premium fuel just for fun. It turns out new oil will stay clean until it reaches about 7000 km if using premium. If I use regular, which is what the truck is supposed to run on, the oil will get dirty at 5000 km, which tells me regular gas is quite dirty compared to premium. Nothing but premium will ever go into the merc.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Zeet, I believe all the kompressor models require premium due to the forced induction setup.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
always put premium in your car. unless the manufacturer says it only recommend regular.

especially for anyone in CA which we already have the shittiest gas in the country. the regular and premium there's only 20-30 cents difference every 10 gallon you are only paying $3 dollar's more. save in other area instead of your gas IMO.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Zeet, I believe all the kompressor models require premium due to the forced induction setup.
Pretty much exactly what I said. I did have a previous car (VW with a VR6) that required premium but would run OK on regular. Tried a couple of tanks and did the MPG as I had a very consistent commute. I got almost 10% worse mileage for a 4% difference in fuel cost. Not worth it! Add the risk of engine damage and the lower power and premium just makes sense.

I was however trying to point out that fuel cost is not the biggest cost of owning a car, not even close for a newer car. It is just the most directly visible cost.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I get your point. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to correct you. If you don't have enough money for the extra dollar, or so, when filling up with premium compared to regular. What are you doing to do when you run into a mechanical problem? Especially on a Mercedes-benz...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.