Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if anyone here is an avid reader of Smart Money (http://www.smartmoney.com/plan/insurance/hey-flo-wheres-my-insurance-discount-1318434793587/), you might have seen the article about insurance rates have been increasing in years, even if Flo tries to say its lower than ever....

So to keep insurances companies honest, I thought it might be good to post how much insurance companies are charging for our ML's.

My 2000 ML55 costs my $197 for 6 months. So two payments a year for a grand total of $394. This rate is from a local broker and insurance is through Progressive with the state minimum liability.

Anyone able to get lower insurance please let us know!

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,121 Posts
Farmers has my wife's ML at $195.00 every 6 months with 500 deductible collision. My 2010 Ford F150 is around $285 every 6 months. I'm surprised you got an ML55 AMG that reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I pay $343 every 6 months... but it is for full coverage and a $500 deductible. I just purchased my ML320 last month. I'm going to drop the coverage to collision once the ML is paid off (in a year). Im in my 30's with a perfect driving record.

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
So if anyone here is an avid reader of Smart Money (Hey, Flo: Where's My Insurance Discount? - SmartMoney.com), you might have seen the article about insurance rates have been increasing in years, even if Flo tries to say its lower than ever....

So to keep insurances companies honest, I thought it might be good to post how much insurance companies are charging for our ML's.

My 2000 ML55 costs my $197 for 6 months. So two payments a year for a grand total of $394. This rate is from a local broker and insurance is through Progressive with the state minimum liability.

Anyone able to get lower insurance please let us know!
Not sure about your state's minimum coverage laws, but here if god forbid
you at fault and they sue just for medical it can be an ugly scenario.
If the amount exceeds your coverage then you would be liable for the difference.
Here in WI they just lowered the minimum requirements which was stupid.
So if I am the victim of an under insured motorist I have to pay the bills
once their insurance is depleted. So I have under insured coverage for that
and an umbrella that would cover anything that exceeds the 100k-300k-300k
coverage if I was at fault in an injury accident.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well im not sure how Progressive rates vehicles. I have a clean driving record, but they tell me they base it off the weight of the vehicle. Which is either a lie, or a lie. Because i also have a 1997 gmc sonoma truck which doesnt weigh 6000lbs like the ML55, and that would actually cost me more to insure every 6 months. I only call and add it to my plan when i need it so i dont recall the amount exactly, but its around $285 every 6 months theyve told me.

Also funny how i have such low rates from progressive because i dropped them a few years ago after an accident i was in. I was making a turn and a girl hit me at like 50mph coming over the crest of a hill. Skid marks from her were from the top of the hill all the way to the point of impact. My car totaled, and hers burst into flames. Because i was making a left hand turn insurance didnt want to pay and Progressive said i was at fault. Funny thing tho, both myself and the other girl had progressive coverage. I think they just didnt want to pay out to 2 customers if they didnt have to. Oh btw, the speed limit was 35 mph, so all laws of physics would prove she was speeding way too much.
Worked out ok tho, my car never was classified as a wreck, so i had it fixed at an autobody school for free, and sold it for a profit with a clean title!

btw, cop gave me a ticket for failure to use directional, so i went to court and had it dismissed because the cop wasnt a witness to seeing me fail to use a blinker.

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
The ML55 does not weigh 6000lbs. Not sure where you got that info. That is GVW fully loaded.
By itself it weighs approx 4861-5073 lbs depending on year and whose specs you are reading.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Progressive as Geico is known as garbage insurance. Expensive and no coverage for a decent price.
If anyone can afford to only carry state's minimum coverage they can be in a world of pain and look back at their ruined life with just one severe accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts