Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.

So my car is pretty near perfect now except for a missing back window motor and the A/C. The window motor I know the problem, it's MIA. As for the AC...

When I got the car I was told the A/C didn't work. That is all I got, no explination. So I started with the basics. I opened the fuse box to find the fuse for the A/C was missing, not blow just missing. Maybe ran away with my window motor?

So I got a new fuse for the A/C. I tried it then. The car strains a little, no difference in rpm's though but the center vents don't blow air no matter what setting is used. Also the air coming out the other vents is not cold. So should the air coming out the center two vents be the only cold air? or should all the vents be blowing cold? Second how do I check the frion level? Where would I add some if it is low?

Also, I have never seen my aux fan come on. I don't think it has come on in a long time because I spun it by hand and it had some pine needles stuck in it. I have had the temp up to almost 100 before so it should have come on right? The fuse for the A/C also says it is for the blower motor. What blower motor is it talking about? The blower motor for the vents has always worked o.k. Is the aux fan called the blower motor???

Thanks,

Mike, who wants to feel as cool as he looks in his benz[8D]

·
Registered
483 Posts
I didn't realized I was searching for A/C parts when I answered your question.

I was wondering like you, if its possible to get the A/C working? Haven't checked the fuse, but my drier is a bit rusty. Is it worth getting the A/C working?

I don't know the condition of my evaporator, compressor, condensor... All I know is, the A/C doesn't turn on...

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if the blower motor is the fan that blows the air out the vents why was mine blowing when I had no fuse installed for the blower motor? is there a seperate blower motor for the A/C?

Also I am like you, I have no idea what state all the pieces of the A/C system are in. All I know is I want cold air [:D] I have fixed a lot of things on the car so it is to the point now that my wife doesn't mind riding in it [:D] When it gets hot here though that will be another story [:0]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
mikec92117 - 4/24/2005 10:27 PM

O.K.

So my car is pretty near perfect now except for a missing back window motor and the A/C. The window motor I know the problem, it's MIA. As for the AC...

When I got the car I was told the A/C didn't work. That is all I got, no explination. So I started with the basics. I opened the fuse box to find the fuse for the A/C was missing, not blow just missing. Maybe ran away with my window motor?

So I got a new fuse for the A/C. I tried it then. The car strains a little, no difference in rpm's though but the center vents don't blow air no matter what setting is used. Also the air coming out the other vents is not cold. So should the air coming out the center two vents be the only cold air? or should all the vents be blowing cold? Second how do I check the frion level? Where would I add some if it is low?

Also, I have never seen my aux fan come on. I don't think it has come on in a long time because I spun it by hand and it had some pine needles stuck in it. I have had the temp up to almost 100 before so it should have come on right? The fuse for the A/C also says it is for the blower motor. What blower motor is it talking about? The blower motor for the vents has always worked o.k. Is the aux fan called the blower motor???

Thanks,

Mike, who wants to feel as cool as he looks in his benz[8D]
You're getting there Mike!

Disable the center vent flaps. Search for "Center vents now working!" I made a thread on it. I hope you have small hands [:D] no tools required except for a screwdriver!

Your A/C seems to be empty of freon. The auxiliary fan comes on only when it is charged w/refrigerant. Pop your hood, there's a small nipple on the A/C line crossing the front of your engine. It's near the EGR and air cleaner area. That's the low pressure point where you recharge it. The high pressure point is near the alternator (behind it actually), under the turbo, somewhere there. No need to use this for recharging.

Your ACC will blow air even w/o refrigerant but usually in this cold weather I set it to EC to allow outside air to get in. Passengers think I have A/C [:D]

The blower motor is responsible for blowing air through the vents. It's located on the passenger area of the dashboard, above your feet when you sit on the passenger seat. The search for disabling the center vents will reveal where it is too. While you're at it, you can also replace the temp sensor tube. It usually gets dry and rots away, so your ACC always blows at maximum fan speed.

The center vents are supposed to blow only warm air, but disabling it will allow cold air too in case you want that. [:p]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if it's my sensor or what buy my blower is kind of strange. Sometimes speeds up when I slow down. It's really crazy. I also still confused how the blower motor worked when I didn't have a fuse in the A/C fuse spot (that is for the A/C + Blower motor).

I will check the freon tomorrow. Is it easy to tell the level??

Thanks again Karugs

p.s. Do you know if there is a place to buy diesel purge from a store? i.e. not online?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
mikec92117 - 4/24/2005 11:49 PM

I don't know if it's my sensor or what buy my blower is kind of strange. Sometimes speeds up when I slow down. It's really crazy. I also still confused how the blower motor worked when I didn't have a fuse in the A/C fuse spot (that is for the A/C + Blower motor).

I will check the freon tomorrow. Is it easy to tell the level??

Thanks again Karugs

p.s. Do you know if there is a place to buy diesel purge from a store? i.e. not online?
If your blower is intermittent, it seems the temp sensor (that small grille in front of your center vents, atop the dash) hose might be rotting and showing ambiguous signs. It's not sending the right information to the blower so the blower will act according to the temp sensor--ambiguous.

Diesel Purge...haven't seen them in stores except when I was in the Philippines. But a diesel shop should have them plenty.

Schmoney, it cured my center vent flaps not working. The flap itself was stuck in closed position and the actuator had a spring that kept it there. So I took it off, basically, to remove tension and set the flap free.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a way to tell if your A/C system is r124 or r12? also where do you get r12? I went to one autoparts store and they only had r134.

Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Sorry for the late update. Here's the thread on disabling the center vents:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1182618&posts=4&hl=center+vents

Also included a link to the PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader) file that diagrams the ACC system.

Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts