Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read but can't find exactly what my car is doing. I have a 2002 C320 with the same 3.2 your cars share. The car has 144k miles on it and in general runs great. The last week or so I have gotten the occasional stumble when pulling out in traffic or away from a stop sign under normal acceleration. The car has also run rough and or surged at stop on a couple of occasions. Both of these things have been very sporadic. The weird thing is that there is no check engine light on and it does illuminate when I turn the key on. The car has had a new fuel filter within the last 10k miles. Any suggestions? Clean the throttle body? Bad gas (am on my second tank since it did it the first time)?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
You're making the inaccurate assumption that a lack of a CEL means there are no codes.

Any driveability issue, the first place to start is to check for codes. You can buy a basic code reader for under $25 on Amazon or you can go to autozone and some other parts stores and they'll read codes for free. Get the actual codes (not the translation or their diagnosis) and then search them here, they are posted around the site including the 210 stickies. If it doesn't make sense to you, post the codes with this thread.

Otherwise, we can just start a laundry list of things to clean and replace and based upon trial and error, eventually you'll fix the culprit, but that usually consumes lots of time and money while increasing your frustration level. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the assumption that the CEL needed to be on for codes. iw ill get htem read on the way home today and see what I find and post later. Thanks for the clarification!!!!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
What brand fuel filter ? Did these symptoms appear after installation of fuel filter makes that replacement suspect.

Use Stabil Marine Fuel Treatment for fuel system cleanup.

If your C320 is "stumbling" or "almost choking" coming to a braked stop - and these symptom have appeared prior to the current pull-away symptoms - then air filter and MAF are suspect.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of the brand fuel filter and it was don close to 10k ago. Have checked codes and nothing stored. Still no CEL. Have cleaned the MAF. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
144K miles.
You have noticed an occasional stumble when pulling out in traffic or away from a stop sign under normal acceleration.
You also note that it has run rough and or surged at stop on a couple of occasions.

What maintenance has been done, and what has been deferred, other than the fuel filter? Any other symptoms you have noticed?

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No other symptoms and the ones I have gotten are very sporadic. Always premium gas. May not do it at all today. It may do it once or twice. No other maint recently that should cause any of these issues. I am sure there is some that needs to be done but the car was maintained by the dealer before I got it and according to them it was up to date on everything as of 115K.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
No other symptoms and the ones I have gotten are very sporadic. Always premium gas. May not do it at all today. It may do it once or twice. No other maint recently that should cause any of these issues. I am sure there is some that needs to be done but the car was maintained by the dealer before I got it and according to them it was up to date on everything as of 115K.
"Should cause" is a potential can of worms. There are times when it's something seen as irrelevant, for example changing the air filter, and it later turns out a vacuum line was pinched or cracked or maybe an air seal wasn't put back just right. There are hundreds of similar examples. Truly unrelated maintenance (replaced rear taillight bulb) is different. But anytime you have been under the hood or touched anything in the fuel system has the potential to be relevant.

Trying to diagnose a car issue can be difficult. Trying to do it on a car forum is orders of magnitude greater in difficulty. If you don't want to talk about things, that's fine, we can just give you a laundry list of things to check, etc. But I'm asking about maintenance done or deferred because far too many times to count I have gone down a path like this on the forum and then the OP says, "oh, I already did that" and I'd prefer not to put my mind to work on things that are not potential issues. It's a waste of time and energy and none of us is being paid, true? ;)

Now, if you don't actually have maintenance records and are basing your representation on the dealer saying "it's good", then you're really at square one and have to assume NO maintenance has been done. So I'd go back to them and ask them for a printout of service records. If they have been maintaining it they should have it in their system.

If you just want to start down the road of "things to check/try/replace", that can be a long, expensive and frustrating trip. One thing to consider may be paying for better diagnostics, which would include some live data.

You mentioned that you cleaned the MAF...how did you go about this? Did you use the DIY in the stickies or some other method?

One thing you might do is pull the air filter/intake plumbing back to the manifold. Replace the seal while you are there (it's a cheap part) and you can use a clean rag sprayed with carb cleaner to wipe any buildup out of the butterfly valve area while you are there. When you replace the plumbing be sure the seal fits properly and everything is aligned and secure. Even small leaks here can play havoc. Dumping in a couple of fuel treatments as Fab suggested may help, too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
I'm going the separate the hesitation / stumble from the rough running.
Are you a left foot braker? If so, German cars will seek revenge by cutting the throttle on you as you pull out into traffic.

I don't know if it ties back to the Audi issue of unintended acceleration, but if you have your left foot on the brake (even ever soooo slight, and try to accelerate while you foot is still on the left pedal, the throttle will not respond correctly until you take your foot completly off the brake.
Hopefully that will take care of your hesitation.

·
Registered
99' e320w 4matic
27 Posts
Bad Gas

I would def. suspect bad or water in gas 1st. Get the ethanol treatment and fill your tank. Do the simple things, then keep looking.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Do a search for ECU/tranny reset - get some zoom factor back into your E-Class

1) Gas treatment - good one to use Stabil Marine Formula (Blue) which is like $9 for one bottle which gives you two doses.

2) I suspect the fuel filter which Bosch/mann is like $35 replacement cost. Lots of non-OE fuel filters causing problems out there since the W210 fuel filter also acts as a "fuel accumulator" with vacuum function.

3) Fresh Mann Air filter $15

4) Pull one spark plug and examine condition - dealer says maintenance was up-to-date but plugs were due at 100K, and you will be able to see a very work electrode if original plugs.
DIY with correct Bosch replacement can be done reasonably for like $80 plugs _ like $50 for a couple of effective tools to make the job easier

5) At 115K if you want to maximize smooth performance and max fuel economy consider a fresh genuine Bosch MAF from a trusted seller like Autohausaz.com - you do not need to wait till a CEL light to change out the MAF

-----------

Things to avoid - don't worry about spark plug wires, and don't worry about fuel pump - at 115K miles a reasonable preventive maintenance investment can make you car run like new - really.

Then look to tranny service to save yourself a bundle long term.

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
10 Posts
Same issue

We have a 2001 E320/210 and the car has started having the same intermittent miss / stumble / hesitation remac noted. In our instance, I'll give the fuel stabilizer a shot b/c I changed the plugs and plug wires about 10,000 miles ago (this behavior only started about 600 miles ago). I had also cleaned the MAF (according to the stickies for your edification CheckCodes) at the same time, so if the fuel stabilizer doesn't work, I'll put a new MAF on it. Also, there are no codes showing up, so whatever this is, it is not throwing an error code.

So remac - others feel your pain and frustration out here. Please keep us updated on your progress and I'll report our progress here.

Cheers!

T

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
10 Posts
BTW: To add to my last post - the air filter is new..but the fuel filter is not something I had considered (I'll do that before the MAF)...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Fuel system/injection maintenance at 100K - Stabil and a new Mann/Bosch fuel filter parts cost like under $50 should be a no brainer.

More mileage, frankly more reason to keep the intake clean - personally I change Mann air filter with each oil change.

Plugs checked at 100K will find a lot of electrode gone, correct Bosch replacement and DIY labor quite affordable.

The other "catchy" thing - do a do a forum search for ECU/tranny reset - do that for free.

On the MAF thing, if you don't feel sporadic symptoms when occasionally coming to a braked stop - that's the tell tale of of end-of-life-out-of-spec MAF in addition to the moving forward stumple.

If you don't have the braked stopped stumbling/choking paralleling the take-off-hesitation then focus on non-MAF things 1st.

Keep the faith !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts