Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all,

i have a '92 300D 2.5 with 220K and am experiencing a gradual loss of power from what seems the transmission. rpms are fine, but car doesn't move forward accordingly. reverse is a bit better. (suposedly the tranny was rebulit at 175K from previous owner)

about a week ago there was just a gradual hesitation when starting up in the morning. so i would put it in drive, step on gas, and it would take a second or two to slowly get going, but after this initial warmup it would be fine the rest of the day. let a neigbor borrow the car for several days and now can barely get it above 20 mph...

added a little transmission fluid, which was low, but not off the charts.

any ideas?

thank you!

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
What happens if you force it to take off in 1st?
(Shifting down to '2' while stopped...)

I have been experiencing poor acceleration recently but mine (so it seems) was a badly plugged (and possibly original) fuel filter. Take-offs have been MUCH better since!
:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

tried to put it in first when i drove it this morning, but didn't add any additional power - or for that matter didn't have a gearing downshift jerk. (we live on a hill, so might have been going 20 at the time i tried downshifting).

as i mentioned, engine revs like normal - beyond 3K - but still feels like it's trying to ease into gear, but doesn't really.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
May be the fluid is dirty? bad modulator? improper vacuum, have you looked under there? at rebuild 175k? should still be good unless someone's stressed it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.

fluid looks fine.

test drove again, and i was able to get up to higher speeds. i believe i was in third gear and trying to accelerate - between 2.5 and 3K RPMs - and the car was surging very badly. this time the tach was going up and down. eventually leved out...

seems the more it warms up the better things are.

called local MB indie shop and they said not to drive it anymore and tow it in.

thanks again!

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
So you have around 45k on the rebuild? Has the filter been changed since then?
Quite possible that the thing is clogged up from the 'new' wearing off the rebuild.

Arent they supposed to be changed around 30k anyways?

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts