Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the car isn't exactly a rocket-ship in the first place, but when I hit hills, the car seems to really hesitate and jerk, it's fine on the flat and downhill, but hit a hill and it loses everything.

Would this be fuel filter? If so, which one? If not, what? :) Thanks!

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Poor performance

I would replace the air filter and both the main fuel filter and the pre filter if they haven't been replaced for some time.

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Well it could be a number of things

I would first of all replace all the filters, as mentioned before. Cheapest thing to do. Next you may want to check the timing on the injection pump, that is also a cheap solution. Then comes the actual adjustments on the injection pump, which I pesonally wouldnt play with. Lastly it could be a compression problem, which hopefully is not the problem. I would also run some Power Service diesel treatment through your fuel tank, or have the injectors professionaly cleaned.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
In addition to changing all filters, adjust the valves. They are mechanical and can cause ...

In addition to changing all filters, adjust the valves. They are mechanical and can cause problems with power.

Then beat it with Italian tuneups, and driving in 3rd
alot, especially up hill. And last but not least run
Mobil 15-50, or 0-40 synthetic to loosen possible sludged rings.

When adjusting the valves check for chain stretch.
You can adjust the start of delivery on the IP, but save that for last.

Give the other things a chance first. If the chain stretch is low 1 to 2 degrees your likely OK or not too far off on the IP. If 5 degrees or higher, get a new chain before it jumps and kills the engine.

I bought a low mileage stick 240D took awhile to break it in agian.
John Gregg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.