Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'95 C220, '97 C280, '97 C280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been many threads on hesitating wipers. I just fixed my hesitating wiper using no tools and without even raising the hood. Thought I'd share...

First of all, I consulted the posted links on W202 wiper repairs and found this link: 202Tech - Hesitating Wiper Fix. Consult this diagram for a visual on what the top cover looks like removed.

The first cover to be removed requires no tools. Just stop your wiper blade in an upright position and lift the first cover to remove. This cover has two tabs that release from either side near the bottom. Just gently pull the sides of the cover slightly out while gently lifting. The bottom will lift away from the wiper arm. The top of the cover hooks under pins. Gently rocking side to side while lifting the bottom away will release the top of this cover.

Now there is a shaft exposed. I merely placed a paper towel between the wiper arm and the windshield and sprayed this exposed shaft with WD-40. Try this remedy to make sure your wiper action is improved.

When replacing the cover, be sure to press the top portion into position first, making sure the cover snaps into position over the pin assembly. Otherwise, the cover will not be attached properly and could come off. The bottom of the cover will easily return to its original position with the side tabs holding it in place.

I have done this easy repair on both my '97 C280's and they both work perfectly.

Greg
Knoxville TN
97 C280 Smoke Silver (wife's)
97 C280 Smoke Silver (mine)
95 C220 Smoke Silver (son's)
95 C280 Smoke Silver (RIP)

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
WD40 lubrication is a short term fix and not going to last. Use a lithium based grease. WD40 is going to dissolve the lithium grease that is left there and I don't think that is a good idea. These components are too delicate to begin with, so I would use the correct lubricant or it could cost you in the long run.

·
Registered
'95 C220, '97 C280, '97 C280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xvvz, I won't disagree with your advice. White lithium based grease would certainly be the preferred lubricant. In my case, I only lubricated the one shaft and it has worked well for the last year on my wife's C280. My 95 has never needed this or any treatment. I'm confident in the two situations where I've used WD40 there was little if any concern over removing another lubricant. Thanks for your input.

Greg
Knoxville TN
97 C280 Smoke Silver (wife's)
97 C280 Smoke Silver (mine)
95 C220 Smoke Silver (son's)
95 C280 Smoke Silver (RIP)

·
Registered
5 Posts
ATTENTION!!

DO NOT USE WD40 AS WIPER LUBRICANT. WD40 IS NOT A LUBE, IT MAY LOOSEN A STIFF WIPER BY CLEANING AWAY DIRTY LUBRICANT FROM BEFORE, BUT THE RESULT WILL BE NO LUBRICANT. USE LITHIUM GREASE OR SOME SIMILAR LIGHT LUBRICATING GREASE SUCH AS SILICONE GREASE.
Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish; please!

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
659 Posts
DO NOT USE WD40 AS WIPER LUBRICANT. WD40 IS NOT A LUBE, IT MAY LOOSEN A STIFF WIPER BY CLEANING AWAY DIRTY LUBRICANT FROM BEFORE, BUT THE RESULT WILL BE NO LUBRICANT. USE LITHIUM GREASE OR SOME SIMILAR LIGHT LUBRICATING GREASE SUCH AS SILICONE GREASE.
Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish; please!
Calm down, WD40 works fine. I sprayed white lithium grease on mine and the cold weather caused it to thicken and bind up, so my hesitating wiper problem came back 6 months later. Wiping off the goo from the lithium grease and applying WD40 fixed it right up, the problem hasn't come back in over a year.

And if you read the can, WD40 is a 'light lubricant'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts