Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
179 miles for a *full* tank.

i know this is nowhere near what it should be! it was driven with the a/c on for most of those miles, as its been hot and then rainy so i need the a/c to keep the windows clear, they fog like noones business!

please help me with what a shadetree kind of person can do with the fuel system on these cars! i know that i cannot set the injection timing myself, but what else can i do?

the car has some fuel in it, i hear it sloshing when i put my ear to the tank and give the car a bounce. but it is not enough gas to start the engine. another question is why does it only seem to run out of fuel in the driveway? ive "run out" of fuel 7 times in the 2 months ive driven/owned the car! a total of 2000 miles have been put on it and its had more fill-ups than my neon(thats covered roughly 2.5x the milage)

3 of them were on the highway. the others were in the driveway, and have been the latest. it seems like when it gets parked, it runs out of fuel. there arent leaks, no oil slicks anywhere its been parked.

so, if any of youall could help point me in the direction of problems that would result in almost 2x the normal fuel consumption PLEASE DO!

oh yeah...the fuel sender is still broken. cleaning it did no good.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
That is really odd. Are you very sure you have no diesel fuel leaks/puddles on the ground? Can the gas flap be locked? I've heard of stories where the fuel could be stolen from an open gas cap.

Hmm, one last thing comes to mind. Your tank is full of algae and you can only fill up so much with diesel fuel, the rest could be gunk (algae, etc). That is the only one reason I could think of.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh yeah im pretty sure its not leaking/being stolen

there would be huge(10 gallon per tank seems to be "missing") oil slicks on the ground were it leaking!

as for stolen, noone in my neighborhood would want the fuel, and if they did, i'd think they would take the expensive things first! we dont lock our cars here, noone bothers anything. on any given day the car holds an ipod, itrip, charger, phone, dior sunglasses, leather ken cole book bag...

now dont take that for bragging or what not, its just i'd think they would want those things they could sell rather than being like cheech and chong, carrying away a barrel full of fuel oil=P

could my fuel timing be that off? the valves? i just dont know where to begin! the fuel pump is pumping too much fuel? the man lied and changed the odometer and i really have a 400k mile junker with an insatiable appetite for dead dinosaurs?

i guess the only thing to do is to crawl under it tomorrow and drain the tank to see what comes out, is that hard to do?

what other tune up kind of things could i do to help maximize the milage? i cannot afford the car no matter how much i like it if it is going to get less milage than a v8 domestic of the same vintage!

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah...

21(gallons of fuel) into 179(miles traveled) is 8.5.

8.5 miles a gallon? thats obscene![:(!]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Dude, I think you’re overreacting here – the only way to get 8.5 mpg is to drive my 500 SEL…[:0][:p][xx(]

Maybe your odo is off.
[?]

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Does it smoke? Is the tailpipe wet? Using this much fuel something is wrong and frankly, the thing should run like crap!

Have you drained the oil to see if it has fuel in it?

The stuff is going someplace.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
He said in another thread his car was running fine except for the discharging. If you had an engine related, high fuel consumption problem you’d know it: it would probably stop running altogether soon. If there’s no leak than you’ve got to be misjudging the mileage.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
No word on the algae in the tank? I didn't quite understand when you said you could have a 400,000 miles junker. Are you asking, or was this a discovery? Either way, if it has that much mileage then it could also have as much gunk in the tank.

But if it's not, I still don't see why it shouldn't.

When you removed the fuel sender unit, what did it look like? Really black stuff means alot of gunk, and if you were to check the level of the black stuff in it, if it's quite high then it means the whole tank at that level of gunk is filled up, give or take.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
karugs-

i was asking if a reliativly low mileage car(130k) could use this much fuel, i was just wondering if the odometer had been changed or something. i really dont think thats the case, the car is in good shape!

im fixing to look up how to drain the tank and maybe even remove it.

im just throwing this one out-

does diesel fuel evaporate? i dont think this is the case though, the car doesnt smell like fuel whenever its running.

no, the car doesnt smoke when running, it does puff some grey smoke whenever i try to start it whenever it has "magically" run out of fuel heh heh

i just went to the skinnerbox site and im going to test the sender correctly. and drain the fuel tank as well

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried to drain the tank, but its nearly full!

so now i know its a fuel line or plugged strainer, i guess i need to stir the gas up and run it out before i can figure out which!

wahoo im on my way...a little;)

A

·
0 Posts
i would have to recommend against "stirring it up" and forcing it through ur nice clean fuel system. the poor fuel pump may choke itself to death. id jack her up high on the differential, get 3 or 4 5 gallon buckets, put on some clothes u dont care about, and maybe some swimming goggles, and let the torrent fall! its the quickest and healthiest (for ur car) way to do away with the crap. i have just finished working out my "Gunk Tank Syndrome", and after draining the tank, dumping some spirits through, eliminating the screen, and 14 sets of fuel filters later, i am finally "analiticaly clean". its a headache i wouldnt recommend to anyone, better take it to some german car shop, and let him deal with it. however, its definately possible to deal with on ur own.

HINT: BIOBOR ALGAE STUFF (FROM A BOAT SHOP) DOESNT WORK WORTH CRAP!!!! I WASTED MY 18 DOLLARS!!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
That would be consistent with a clogged strainer – it is very much like running out of fuel; you get much the same thing when the prefilter clogs as well.

Diesel fuel does evaporate but much slower than gas and leaves a sticky residue.

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
The wonderful folks at Mercedes have given us the "look into the tank" via the sender unit. Was thinking of a radical cleaning and started with the reccomended:
remove 2 screws from the 1st aid tray
remove plug from sender
remove sender and have a peek.
You can siphon, (strain and filter if you like) from the top enough fuel to see if in fact you have an out of control algae problem. I chose another prefilter under the tank as some other folks did. Also allowed me to clean up the sender with some brake cleaner and see the bottom for myself. Sort of like the boogey man under the bed.
Just a thought.
Luck

A

·
0 Posts
serious? i had never ever heard that about under the first aid looking at the sender ever. awesome. benz engineers are geniouses. i will do that "just for fun" in the morning, during my tinkering session. where do u hear this stuff?

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
I think in the online help links. Top of the page.
Was looking to remove the tank, screen, pressure wash, replace o-ring for screen blah blah.Took a look in side and thought "OVER KILL". Changed the prefilter, added a 2nd under the tank, done. Still have to find an air leak showing up in my prefilter but car's still going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts