Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,493 Posts
This video about the spectacular Group B in the 1980s starts appropriately with the words: “In mid 80s the forests were populated by monsters…“. :D

Occasionally I still get to see these cars in action at rallys & hill climbs around here. Seeing (and hearing) especially the Audi Quattro S1 in action is still quite impressive. They partly produce a top power of more than 700 HP. Even if electric rally cars should be faster in the future, they‘ll probably never be as spectacular to watch as the 35 years old 5-cylinder Quattros. :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This video about the spectacular Group B in the 1980s starts appropriately with the words: “In mid 80s the forests were populated by monsters…“. :D

Occasionally I still get to see these cars in action at rallys & hill climbs around here. Seeing (and hearing) especially the Audi Quattro S1 in action is still quite impressive. They partly produce a top power of more than 700 HP. Even if electric rally cars should be faster in the future, they‘ll probably never be as spectacular to watch as the 35 years old 5-cylinder Quattros. :)

What a great video, thanks for posting.

Bit of an aside:
In the 80's Mercedes put a lot of money into the development of the W201 (actually the multi link rear suspension has been used in / and up to much later S and SL class 500/600 models is the same with same parts numbers) with the intention to compete in rallying. Well, Audi surprised everyone with the Quattro, and the rest is history.
Btw, on the fairly narrow street at my grand daughters school, I can do a single U-turn with the old and trusty W201 (just passed 100k miles), while everyone else has to make 3 point turns.
Cheers

2020-03-22.png

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walter Röhrl is another of my all time heroes. The only rally driver with 4 world championships, each with a different marque / car.

Shows foot pedal work

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nürburgring Nordschleife 1 lap (old 1975 Porsche Carrera 3.0 RS)

The 904 was a beauty

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,493 Posts
In the 80's Mercedes put a lot of money into the development of the W201...
The development of the W201 started in the mid 70‘s, not long after the launch of the BMW 3 series … and a lot of money was put into it, indeed. I still remember the discussions at the university whether that car will ever bring all that money back. One of the professors whose automotive engineering lectures I enjoyed used documents of the W201, including the “Raumlenkerhinterachse“ (multi link rear suspension), in his lectures in the early 80‘s before it came on the market. … Brings back pleasant memories. The 80‘s were the most exciting decade I experienced as an engineer in the car industry in Germany. :)

The 904 was a beauty
When I think of the 904, I automatically think of the Shelby Cobra too, and vice versa. I liked both cars very much. They remind me to the “500km of Spa-Francorchamps“ in 1964. One of the Porsche 904 drivers in that race stayed with his team in a hotel close to my home. He drove his 904 via public roads to the race track in the morning and back to the hotel in the evening.

The attached pictures I took at that race with my first camera at the age of 7 years. :) … They have never been publically seen anywhere before. I scanned them today. The 3rd picture shows Phil Hill‘s Cobra. The 4th picture shows the cockpit of the open Cobra in front of Phil Hill‘s “Daytona Coupe“.

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool. Thanks for posting

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nürburgring Nordschleife 1 lap (old 1975 Porsche Carrera 3.0 RS)

The 904 was a beauty

Walther Rohrl drives the Audi Quattro up the Col de Turini - autocar.co.uk

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,493 Posts
Here‘s a video with Bob Lutz talking about Ferdinand Piëch (“Fugen-Ferdy“ :D), the father of the Audi Quattro and its 5-cylinder turbo engine. Ferdinand Piëch and his engineering team played a significant role in my early desire to go into engineering. As a young boy I had the opportunity to literally look over their shoulders, listening to them when they were discussing technical details cowering around the Porsche 917‘s … the racing car that has fascinated me the most up to this day. :)

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember a young Bob Lutz on German TV and his fluent German. Wasn't he also called Niechen (niche) Bob? During his few years at BMW, he seems to have had an influence on BMW's motorsport division.

I had heard a version of the 'gap' story before. Piech may well be the foremost automobile industries manager, but it wouldn't surprise if his do or die leadership style didn't contribute to the later diesel scandal.

As an aside: Going back in history, Stalin had executed the intelligence officer who had predicted, - correctly as it turned out, the German attack of June 1941 on the Soviet Union. Executed why? Because his prediction was less pleasing than head of the intelligence service Levrenti Beriya, who had the good sense to say what Stalin wanted to hear, and who survived being by completely wrong.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,493 Posts
Piech may well be the foremost automobile industries manager, but it wouldn't surprise if his do or die leadership style didn't contribute to the later diesel scandal.
I guess that‘s true … I mean that “it wouldn't surprise“. … ;)

As an aside: Going back in history, Stalin had executed the intelligence officer who had predicted, - correctly as it turned out, the German attack of June 1941 on the Soviet Union. Executed why? Because his prediction was less pleasing than head of the intelligence service Levrenti Beriya, who had the good sense to say what Stalin wanted to hear, and who survived being by completely wrong.
I think “Going back in history“ is not necessary in order to find people in powerful positions who, albeit not execute, but at least fire those who say things they don't want to hear or that don‘t suit their interests … not only in Moscow. Sometimes such people are even put into power by voters in really democratic countries, including big & significant ones.

·
40,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that‘s true … I mean that “it wouldn't surprise“. … ;)

I think “Going back in history“ is not necessary in order to find people in powerful positions who, albeit not execute, but at least fire those who say things they don't want to hear or that don‘t suit their interests … not only in Moscow. Sometimes such people are even put into power by voters in really democratic countries, including big & significant ones.
Post Covid 19, we just might live in a different world from what we were used to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts