Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a couple of e mails a day for an MR2 I sold in Jan,2004…….

Complete cretin in Nigeria writes.....
I saw your advert via internet that you have your(1991 Toyota MR2-sunroof,blue/black interior. ) which am highly interested in purchasing.So i will like to know the listed below (1)the present condition of the( 1991 Toyota MR2-sunroof,blue/black interior.)as of now (2)the updating pic's and (3)the last price you're willing to sell it However,my
terms of payment will be by a certified bank check drawn in uk bank
and dont worry about the shipping i will arrange with the shipping company that will be coming for the pick up at your location...Thanks and whilst hoping to hear from you
alex

I replied.....

It needs a bit of work but basically it runs fine.
I am asking only 2000 euros,payable to me,Gunther Toody,here in Florida.
Please let me know how you will pay for and ship this original car.
Gunther Toody

Cretin replies.....

HELLO
Thanks for the mail and the brife explianation I had to inquire if this is okay by my customer and she did made me understand that the condtion is okay by her,as for payment i have an associate in U.S.A who i will instruct to issue out payment to you before he leaves the state ,before he leaves, i will instruct him to issue out payment to you so that we can complete this deal as soon as possible.I, will instruct him to issue out the sum of 5000 euros this will cover it's price and the shipping,as soon as the payment is in your possesion i will like you to deduct it's price and wire the rest to my shiping agent that will arrange for the pick up . if this arrangement is okay by you i will like you to get back to me with your full name and contact address as to where payment will be sent to,is as follow....
FULL NAME.....
STREET........
STATE ... ...
CITY.........
ZIP CODE...
COUNTRY......>CELL PHONE.......
PHONE............
your immediate reasponse will be highly be appreciated.if there is any pictures pls do forward it to me.
Kind Regrads.
alex

I reply.....
adrian <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks, I can the check be made out in Hungarian forints as I have a small Picasso I am buying in Budapest next month and they will give me a good rate for cash Forints.
Thanks,
gunther

FULL NAME.....Gunther Toody
STREET........6156 NW 31st Court
STATE ... ...Florida
CITY.........boca raton
ZIP CODE...33496
COUNTRY.....USA
CELL PHONE......none
PHONE............561 999 3001 but as I am deaf,I do not like speaking on the phones.
your immediate reasponse will be highly be appreciated.if there is any pictures pls do forward it to me.
Kind Regrads.
alex
THIS IS WHAT HE IS BUYING ,MY MR2 !!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: here's your weekend laugh...........redux...same picture!!

And ANOTHER one today!!

Greetings,
My name is eng Diana living in Holland with my family for charity organisation programme, a technical and mechanical engineer married with two kids[twins] a boy and a girl, i came across your
classified ads for sale and iam highly impressed in purshasing the 1991 Toyota MR2 you put up for sale as a birthday present to someone precious ok,So
please get back to me ! with the rock bottom price of the which you wish to sale your car and the pictures of the car if there is any. Hoping that this
transaction will proceed with good faith and also hoping that you are honest
and trustworthy.
Thanks for your understanding and looking forward to have your favourable
response.Please let me know if you goes to church.
Remains fresh,blessed and rapturable amen.
Cheers;
Diana.

I wrote:

It needs a bit of work but basically it runs fine.
I am asking only 2000 euros,payable to me,Gunther Toody,here in Florida.
Please let me know how you will pay for and ship this original car.
Gunther Toody

Hello Anne, (THIS cretin cant even get my NAME right!!!)
I really appreciate your response on my interest in asking for your lovely 1991 Toyota MR2 and i will like to tell you that your asking price 2000 euros is ok by me again iam promising you that i will personally take proper care of the 1991 Toyota MR2 ok.Right now i am going to instruct a client of mine to issue a certified cashier's bank cheque of 5,850 euros with your name of which you will deposite in your bank deduct your 2000 euros and keep the remaining difference for my international shipper who will come directly to your house/location immediately you have recieved the payment for the shippment of the 1991 Toyota MR2 ok so i will like you to get back to me immediately with your full informations so that i will have them forwarded to my client for fast issuance of the cheque ok, again please arrange the whole documents and neccessary papers of the 1991 Toyota MR2 for my shi! pper because she will come along with the name in the invoice so get back to me with the followings ok;
[ADRIAN PLEASE THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AND HOPE I CAN TRUST YOU OK]
Name on the cheque;
Contact address;
Cell phone #s office/mobile
Looking forward to read from you soon.
Thanks once again for your co-operation and be blessed amen.
Cheers;
Diana.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
I got an email like those when I was listing my Audi on Autotrader, except they were from someone in the US. Same deal though, they wanted to send me a check for more than the asking price and have me give the difference to the shipper. I emailed back and said I wanted cash, in person. Never got a reply..

Autotrader has a warning posted on their site about this scam. I think what happens is that the Bank Check they send you is not good, but your bank won't realize this right away. The "differnce" you deduct and give to the shipper will come out of your own account. Then the shipper leaves with your car (and your cash). The bank then figures out that the check was no good and that money disappears from your account as well.
So then you have no car, no money from the check, and you are out the "difference" that you gave the shipper.

PT

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You are correct. A bogus cashier's check is sent to you. You deposit it and your account is credited. It takes ~2 weeks or so to discover the cashiers check is bogus. By that time they are long gone. They could care less about your car. They just want the money.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes-the check is NEVER any good-meanwhile,people get fleeced for the "difference"

The real wierd part is you can send them ANY picture and they respond with the same old crap.
I'll post pix of the checks when they arrive...Adrian,alias Gunther Toody,of Car 54 fame.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
But theres one important question - was it a turbo? (I have a '89 MR2 turbo)

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pic was of a Moskowitz....unknown vintage,BTW my sons car was a 90 non turbo,replaced with a 92 turbo---bout as fast as my SLK32!!
Adrian

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have seen people get insane power out of MR2 turbos, 600+hp. Pretty impressive for a small 4cyl engine.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
The sad thing is people fall for this crap. Good for you Adrian, that's funny!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Even dog breeders are getting ripped off by that scam. A womans daughter that works with my wife had a deal like that going down, they met the guy to give him a puppy and pay them the differance of the double amount check. I warned them when they told me about this guy from Turkey buying one of their puppy and sent them a check for twice the amount, they had to meet a relative in the states and pay him the balance. They had the FBI with them and busted the guy that was there recieving the dog and accepting the money. They're waiting on the courts now.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sucker writes.....
Hello,
My associate just contacted me now.,saying the cheque should have reached you by now..please let me know immediately if you have received it or not.
Regards,
Alex.

adrian wrote:
Nothing yet…you sure your associate is honest and trustworthy? Maybe he took your money and ran………………………
gunther

Hello Gunter,
Thanks for your response..,i really appreciate your concern..,but i have a full confidence that he can never do such a thing..,though i have contacted him again about it and why the delay..but he gave the assurance that the payment will get to you any moment from now.
So i will want you to contact me immediately you receive it.
Regards,
Alex.

and then THE CHECK ARRIVES>>>>>>note carefully hand written,not printed in magnetic ink.....

Adrian(alias Gunther Toody)

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More just in........

One NEVER meets with them ,they dont need to travel,just scam by mail.OTOH,people HAVE gone to Nigeria to try to outsmart them and been killed.
FBI is USELESS in thes matter-they are out of jurisd iction

1 - 14 of 14 Posts