Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I just wanted to share some information on the Steering Damper.

The Steering Damper is located under the car between the front wheels and runs parallel with the axle.

The purpose of the Steering Damper is to obsorb any sudden 'jolts' of the steering wheel caused by un-even terrain...sorry if this is 'old hat' to some of you but I've only just learnt about it myself recently....

The other day, I noticed a dreaded oil patch on my drive where I usally park :eek:.
After shitting myself repeatedly, I got under the bonnet and had a good look around...nothing there, no oil dripping from the top of the engine or anywhere else. I then got under the car and noticed that oil was dripping from one end of the Steering Damper. It was dripping very slowly, hence only one golf ball-sized oil patch.

I consulted my guy at MB and he said that the Steering Damper had indeed blown and that this was likely to have been caused by me installing bigger wheels and stiffening the ride (Eibachs & Koni's). The Steering damper was basically having to work alot harder to obsorb bumps and had finally given up the ghost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that customising your ride is going to fu#k your S.Damper in 2 days... the Damper I replaced was the original one and was probably quite worn anyway.

All I'm saying is have a quick look to see how your Steering Damper is doing.

I was also relieved at the cost of replacing this damper - it was only £30! and very easy to replace. With that said, some of you may want to just replace it anyway!

Thanks for reading.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
CLK55 AMG Cab
276 Posts
Good work bro! Any initial signs of the dampers going bad or do they just give it up with age like hydraulic shocks & old whores? Seems as if they provide vertical lift/stability over bumps and around turns ?? Also, is this an easy DIY ?

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
446 Posts
Good work bro! Any initial signs of the dampers going bad or do they just give it up with age like hydraulic shocks & old whores? Seems as if they provide vertical lift/stability over bumps and around turns ?? Also, is this an easy DIY ?

its a matter of removing and replacing 2 bolts to replace the damper. The only thing I didn't do is use threadlock.

I thought about replacing the damper for a solid bar to stiffen things up front.

G

·
I consulted my guy at MB and he said that the Steering Damper had indeed blown and that this was likely to have been caused by me installing bigger wheels and stiffening the ride (Eibachs & Koni's).

They will ALWAYS pointed fingers at aftermarket parts. I've seen many stock Mercedes with leaking steering damper (I've replaced it on two mercedes myself and one with only 75k miles on on Slk 230). If you live in an area with bad roads, your steering damp is going to wear much faster regardless mods or no mods.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate, sorry for the late response.

As sfclk said, it is very easy to change - just 2 bolts.

Old whores...haha.:D

There are 4 little holes on one end of the shock. Oil will leak from here to let you know it's buggered.

To re-cap, the Steering Damper is there to obsorb sudden jolts in the steering - for example, if you're driving over roads with "ruts" worn into them by heavy goods vehicles (any of you with big wide wheels will know what I'm talking about! - when your cars feels possessed and tries to go in another direction!). The damper helps prevent the steering wheel being torn from your hands when driving.

Glad this has helped you.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They will ALWAYS pointed fingers at aftermarket parts. I've seen many stock Mercedes with leaking steering damper (I've replaced it on two mercedes myself and one with only 75k miles on on Slk 230). If you live in an area with bad roads, your steering damp is going to wear much faster regardless mods or no mods.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Like you say, the chances are, it needed to be replaced anyway. Thankfully, my guy at MB has also become a friend too, so he doesn't rip me off.

And you're right about the roads too. UK roads in general can be quite terrible - and they're narrow!!

I reckon if you guys came over here you'd have a heart-attack when you see the width of our roads compared to yours.

·
Registered
CLK55 AMG Cab
276 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm closing in on 80k and since I don't know the previous owner, I'll bolt in some new dampers. Im guessing(and hoping) a female owned the car b/c there are chips from fingernails all over the buttons on my steering wheel.

·
Registered
89' 190e 2.6 / 02' CLK55 AMG
138 Posts
I think mine is shot. The steering wheel gets thrown around pretty hard to uneven road, harder then my two other benzes. I don't think has to do with AMG tuning (as the other two are non AMGs) should be softer then this.

I wonder if this will alter my alignment. Cause i just got a nice computer laser one done.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think mine is shot. The steering wheel gets thrown around pretty hard to uneven road, harder then my two other benzes. I don't think has to do with AMG tuning (as the other two are non AMGs) should be softer then this.

I wonder if this will alter my alignment. Cause i just got a nice computer laser one done.
Hi mate.

Your wheel alignment will not be effected. The Steering Damper is located UNDER the car between the front wheels - get on the floor and you'll see it.

Get the Steering Damper changed. It's cheap and makes a great difference.

·
Registered
2001 (Y reg) CLK 320 Avantg convertaible
1 Posts
I know what you mean by UK roads. Where are you from in the UK. Judt checking if you was local and new any good MB mechanics.

·
Registered
89' 190e 2.6 / 02' CLK55 AMG
138 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts