Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
This company (Amsterdam) fixed my transmission in 1 day when it was in the car.

During quick acceleration in first and second it was slipping. A gasket (blown), plunger (I think) and something like a tube (ruptured) thing were broken.

Thing

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
W124 Moderator
12,603 Posts
Which gear? 4th is a 1:1 direct lock. Other ratio's will be different depending on the model. GSXR posted two links that will answer your question.

Jayare

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you DougJester and GSXR for sharing these .PDF's. The write-up helped me understand that my transmission is operating basically correctly. I should only need to set the Operating Pressure and possibly change my modulator valve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dean aloha from the Hamakua side. I recently purchased a 97 e320 (104k miles, 1 owner) for $2750, with shifting issues. Basically stuck in limp mode. Replaced the conductor plate and now need to get the transmission codes cleared. Still haven't safety checked or registered it.
Saw a 94 e320 listed for sale today with 166k miles, supposedly clean etc. a bunch of recent maintenance work done for $2k. I'm interested in your thoughts. Seems like you've had a number of not-so-manini stuff done in the last 3 years....
All the electronics in the 97 make me a little nervous and am wondering if I should pursue the 94, and get the 97 legal then sell it (fixed).
Until later, be well~

·
Registered
230 Posts
Jamil,

I got my '94 from Pahala where owner #3 let it sit under a tree for 3 years. I had to change some electronic modules to get it running, then shave the warped head to get it running reliably. Also, had to change all the bearing items on the front of the engine to get it running quietly. The wiring has been holding up well as owner #2 or #1 replaced the engine harnesses.

'94 was the last year these cars were assembled by hand, 95 & later were assembled by automation. I like simple cars and don't appreciate all the gadgets built into this car (and probably later Mercedes) because anything that can break down eventually will. Someone in the forum told me "...the most expensive car is a cheap Mercedes..." Sounds like someone has gone through the effort to keep up the upkeep on the $2K '94.

I have done all my own maintenance because the 3 main shops that work on Mercedes in Kona are in it to bilk the wealthy people. I'm not wealthy or rich or even well-off, just barely comfortable with no leaks in the roof yet. There is one more shop that works on Mercedes, Volvo, Volkswagen that I will try for some fine tuning issues. The Mercedes Service Manual (CD) does not cover some explicaties of the '94 M104 troubleshooting. I am hoping they can increase my mileage from 19-21 mpg to 25-27.

So, I realize I have not given you any "advise" but I hope that you can glean something from my experiences and folklore.

The best place on-line to buy parts is AutohausAZ.com. They carry a wide range of parts at reasonable prices and shipping. The worst place to take your car for transmission service are all the Aamco and Gear Master shops.

If the 94 and 97 have the same transmission, you could swap them yourself or have a reputable shop do it.

Dean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts