Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see exactly where the spare tire was on the back of the Nissan Pathfinder in front...

You can see exactly where the spare tire was on the back of the Nissan Pathfinder in front of me . . .

Attachments

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
re

I feel your pain. Actually its not all that bad. It will definately cost you some money. Especially the front side. Is the frame messed up too? Iam sure it is.

Did the pathfinder owner not bringing his insurence?

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Hi bdonkersgoed, I feel really bad for you.
You will definately need a new bonnet. Dont...

You will definately need a new bonnet. Dont bother trying to have that fixed. The two rear quarter panels are repairable. You can set them straight on a JIG. The front and rear bumpers will need changing as will the grille. Check your spare tyre bay. It will have crushed. You may need a new trunk floor panel welded in. My guess is $3000 for the repair (inc parts/paint/labour) on the cheap using a new grille, replica hood and second hand bumpers/rear light.

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
re:

Dont forget to check for frame damage. I had a similar accident on my C280. You need to look underneath and see bent frame.

If you cant afford all at once, try to get atleast the front done. Wait for a couple of months and then get the rear fixed.

Once all is fixed, you will ride like a king in this car.

[}:)]

///S320

· Registered
1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt
414 Posts
not fair

Very sad!
A good add for compulsory insurance, eh?
I like to use good used parts instead of after market parts, so that you get the original quality and fit.
Barry

· Registered
92'300SE98' Upgrades
6 Posts
Donkers

Thats really going to cost alot, I broke 3 rivits off the fron driver side bumper/skirt, to fix that it was $500CDN to fix I can imagine thats going to be a couple thousand but im sure insurance will cover it. How did you do that? Following too close good luck with that.

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
So sorry to hear about your accident. Man, what a shame!! I have been following your sto...

So sorry to hear about your accident. Man, what a shame!! I have been following your story... did the driver of the other car have insurance?? If he did not, you should sue the hell out of him - at least go to court to place a lien on his properties to insure that your car gets repaired. I do not see why you would be responsible for this. This is going to cost you an arm and a leg to get fixed. You know, sometimes, you have to get angry and take care of matters. Take them to court. What about you? Did you have insurance when this happened?? Well, if you did, let your insurance company handle this - God knows we pay them enough!! Now it's time for them to put out the money...! Let us know.

Joey
[}:)]

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote]How did you do that? Following too close good luck with that.[/quote]

Hey Court....

How did you do that? Following too close good luck with that.
Hey Court. Here is a post that I did the day of the accident. It explains the whole scenario:

--------------------------------------------
OK. Here's the story:

I convinced my dad about a month ago to buy a damaged '93 300SE with only 20000 miles on the clock. Other than a little bit of rear end damage, the car was virtually brand new. It was always stored in Winters, and it was just a little old Chinese guy that owned it.

Anyways, we got the car all fixed up at an autobody shop, and picked it up yesterday. The car was AWESOME! I have never driven such a smooth riding machine!

The car was quite dirty inside (due to dust from the autobody shop), so I spent 5 hours last night (until 4:00AM) giving the interior the ENTIRE treatment . . . leather cleaner and conditioner, shampooed the carpets, cleaned EVERYTHING! I cleaned all of the door jams and every crack and crevice that I could find. I even wiped off the entire engine! The car looked brand new!

Anyways, thi morning I was running around getting license plates and stuff, and got that all taken care of by 11:30AM. Then, I decided to drive the car to the Mercedes dealer (in another city about 30 mins away) so that I could get the security code to unlock the stereo. I had driven for about 20 mins, and then at a stop light, in an 80km/h zone, the Nissan Pathfinder in front of me braked pretty hard due to an unexpectedly long lineup at the lights. Luckily, I had taken the car out earlier that day to get a good feel for the brakes (practiced emergency braking), so I was prepared for the situation, and was able to come to a nice, smooth, and complete stop about 3 feet away from the car in front of me.

I then remember thinking to myself, "this might turn into an accident", but then the van behind me (Windstar) was able to come to a complete stop as well. However, about a second later, another van (Caravan) smucked into the back of the Windstar, which pushed the Windstar into my back end, which pushed me into the back end of the Pathfinder!!!! Now, just a day after getting the car all repaired and cleaned etc., the car got in another accident which wrecked both the front AND back ends! I am pissed to say the least . . .

The driver of the Grand Caravan was charged with Careless driving, and I am still not sure if I will be considered at fault at all (although, I am quite certain that they didn't find me at fault at all.)

Now we are worried about what is going to happen with the insurance settlement. The car just sustained cosmetic damage, and can be easily fixed; however, the car was already written off once before, so the insurance will probably write it off again. We really want the car back though! It was an absolute DREAM! We will never find another car like it (with so few miles) . . .

Anyways, just thought I would vent. . .

It's just all so frusterating!!
----------------------------------------------------

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: So sorry to hear about your accident. Man, what a shame!! I have been following your sto

did the driver of the other car have insurance?? If he did not, you should sue the hell out of him - at least go to court to place a lien on his properties to insure that your car gets repaired.
Yes, the driver of the other car did have insurance; however, in Ontario it doesn't really matter. We have "no fault" insurance. This means that, in the event of an accident, each cars insruance company pays for their own car's damage, regardless of fault. Therefore, in this case, it will be MY insurance company that will pay for MY car, even though I was considered 0% at fault. Ontario uses "no fault" insurance so that the number of big (and costly) court cases are reduced.

I do not see why you would be responsible for this.
You are right . . . I am not responsible for this. Because I came to a complete stop before being hit from behind, I am considered 0% at fault. I knew exactly what the insurance company wants to hear because I work for one, and can look up all of the fault determination rules [:)]

This is going to cost you an arm and a leg to get fixed.
Yeah, I realize that . . . I am quite certain that this is an insruance write-off. We bought the car with some rear-end damage, and I had a quote for $9000 to have it repaired (including replacement with brand new OEM parts). However, we were able to find used parts and a good body shop guy, and got it all fixed up for $4200. Other than the bit of rear-end damage, the car was mint and only had 20000 miles! If the insurance company writes it off (and I am certain that they will, because now there is like $13000CAN damage), then we are hoping to get the damaged car back as part of our insurance settlement. With taxes and everything we put into it, we paid $23000CAN. I am guessing that they could get $10000CAN for it at a salvage auction, so I think it would be fair if they gave us the car back, along with $12000CAN or so. I think we could get it repaired (using used parts and our cheaper autobody guy) for $6000CAN. This would give us our car back and a nice $6000CAN slush fund to put towards maintennance on the car! All in all, I am hoping to come out ahead in the end . . .

The insurance adjuster has phoned, and an appraiser is coming on Monday to assess the damage and the value of the car. We still have all of our receipts and everything, so I don't think that they could give us any less than the $23000CAN that we paid for it . . .

I will definitely keep you guys informed. I really hope that we can get this car back on the road! For the 40 minutes or so that I actually got to drive it, it was a dream!!

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Hi bdonkersgoed, I feel really bad for you.You will definately need a new bonnet. Dont

You will definately need a new bonnet. Dont bother trying to have that fixed.
Yeah . . . I found someone in Toronto parting out a '95 S320, and I can buy the hood and grille assembly off of him for $1500CAN, which isn't too bad of a deal . . .

The two rear quarter panels are repairable. You can set them straight on a JIG.
I brought about 60 digital pictures of the car to our autobody guy, and he said that he could easily fix the Quarter Panels . . .

The front and rear bumpers will need changing as will the grille.
I don't think that we will need to replace the front and rear bumpers. The rear bumper is actually quite fine, except for some scratches in the paint. . . I am pretty sure that we can have the front bumper plastic welded. I had my motorcycle fairing plastic welding, and I can't even tell now (and it was cracked all over the place!)

Check your spare tyre bay. It will have crushed. You may need a new trunk floor panel welded in.
I already checked this. The trunk floor is pushed in about half of a foot. When we first bought the car, the trunk floor was actaully worse than what it is now. The autobody guy was able to pull out the "crush" on his frame machine . . .

My guess is $3000 for the repair (inc parts/paint/labour) on the cheap using a new grille, replica hood and second hand bumpers/rear light.
Actually, my guess is more like $6000CAN - $7000CAN using used parts (which is what our autobody guy told us). Using new OEM parts, it would probably come to about $13000CAN.

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
Well, just make sure you reinforce the structure damages that would be pulled back into sh...

Well, just make sure you reinforce the structure damages that would be pulled back into shape. Since they have lost some of the strength in this accident.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Well, just make sure you reinforce the structure damages that would be pulled back into sh

Well, just make sure you reinforce the structure damages that would be pulled back into shape. Since they have lost some of the strength in this accident.
In Ontario, the car will have to pass a structural integrity test before it can be put back onto the road anyways . . .

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
How do they do that?? Use a big machine to push it to see how much force before it break?...

How do they do that?? Use a big machine to push it to see how much force before it break??[:0]

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: How do they do that?? Use a big machine to push it to see how much force before it break?

How do they do that?? Use a big machine to push it to see how much force before it break??[:0]
I don't know HOW it is done, but I know that it MUST be done. Just another way for the Ontario Government to get another $200CAN out of us I guess . . .

I think it involves a frame inspection and stuff, but I am really not sure . . .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.