Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HELP

762 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  spanners
I just bought a 1986 190e 2.3 it doesn't want to start. Has fuel and spark. Timing chain good also.
i am going to check the cap and rotor here today i just got it home. Maybe some suggestions. thanks.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Non starter

spinnitt

When you say it has fuel, how have you checked [?]

Has the car been stood for any time [?]

The reason i ask is because on cars that have been stood a while, the plunger inside the fuel distributor sticks. When this happens, you will find plenty of fuel pressure at the inlet to the ditributor but none getting through to the injectors.

· Registered
merc 190e 2.3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help

The History of the car is a good one as far as I can tell. it has 135,000 miles on it a new exhaust fresh tires and recently had an oil change before I got it. I bought it at an auction for 250 dollars. I did get it to turn over after I put new plugs in it and advanced the timing a little by adjusting the cap and rotor. I still didn't run right but, did idle at a low chug. I did find that there is a vac. module on the distributor cap and the hose was broken off. Could this be a problem too. I am going to do a full check on the fuel when I get a chance and I am also going to do a compression check too. I am just hoping it isn't something too major and that was why the vehicle was donated. Still looking for the answers. Thanks for the advice I will look into it.

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Non starter

spinnitt

I hope it wasn't put into auction because the previous owner found out what it would cost to repair it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be pessimistic.

It could be a number of things, from a fuel blockage to the E.C.U. or transistor pack blown.

The vacuum mod on the distributor is the Vacuum advance unit, which advances the timing when cold. There is every possibility that this is the problem. Reconnect/replace the piepe and try again.

· Registered
merc 190e 2.3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

I sent you an email, not sure if you will get it. Thanks for the advice. I am looking into all possibilities. I am starting with the fuel and timing. this car still has the original fuel filter and pump and all, so i will check these and replace the filter, and the cold start vac adv. Probalbly won't get to it for a while, but i will let you know.
This car is in great shape and i did get it for a project, so here it goes.
thanks again.[8]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.