Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need a little help, actually, a LOT of help.

I have a neighbor that has a 2001 C320. She bought it over a year ago, used it for about a month and left it in the garage, sitting!! She said, “I haven’t turned it on since”.
She asked me if I could help her get the car to turn on. I said, I can try. Well, there’s several issues. For one, I have never worked on Benz, only on American cars. Two, I have never worked on a car that’s been sitting for over a year.

So what I’ve done so far. I tried to turn it on, dead! Battery didn’t charge, so I got a new one. Installed it after removing the cover, which looks like it has some kind of filter on it.
So good so far, checked the oil, still has oil and shows the right amount. It has antifreeze, ok, time to start it up and it turns but does not turn on. Ok, so go to start it and she says, oh, it doesn’t have gas, ohhh okkkkk. So we put about a gallon she had in the garage for her lawn mower. I try to start it again and it turns but does not turn on.

Do I need to replace plugs? Or what should I do to get it to turn on. I attached a picture of the console.
Suggestions?

Service B??

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
So the engine rotates but does not fire? It could be a fuel pump issue, or a bad Crankshaft Position sensor. There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can check pressure. If there's no pressure at all, then it may be the fuel pump. If it has pressure, then I'd suspect a bad CPS.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So the engine rotates but does not fire? It could be a fuel pump issue, or a bad Crankshaft Position sensor. There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can check pressure. If there's no pressure at all, then it may be the fuel pump. If it has pressure, then I'd suspect a bad CPS.
Rodney is it not the case that a bad CPS will cause the ECU to shut down the fuel pump? Thus giving no fuel pressure and the false appearance of a bad fuel pump?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
That's correct - as a safety feature, if the CPS provides no signal, the ECU assumes the engine has stopped so it shuts off fuel. However, it does energize the fuel pump with the ignition switch in order to prepare for starting, so there should be some pressure during cranking if the fuel pump is working.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That's correct - as a safety feature, if the CPS provides no signal, the ECU assumes the engine has stopped so it shuts off fuel. However, it does energize the fuel pump with the ignition switch in order to prepare for starting, so there should be some pressure during cranking if the fuel pump is working.
OK ,thanks for that ,it all makes sense now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Benzyle
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing