Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the posts for hours now and have found nothing. This morning my 73 450 sl was on empty so I headed for the gas station. About 1 block from the station I lost all power, car would not go more that 3 mph. I limped into the station and shut of the car for refuel. I filled the tank and tried to start it. No sound from the fuel pump. Engine barely starts and wont stay running. The only problem I have ever had was rough start when cold. Engine will turn over but as soon as I try to drive it seems to be starved for fuel. Until this morning the car has always run on the rich side. Usually I can smell fuel when I first start the car. No fuel smell seems like the engine isnt getting fuel. Where is my fuel pump? Anyone have an idea on what happened? Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel Injectors, Relay? Also something in the dash on the passenger side was making a strange noise.:surrender:

·
Registered
299 Posts
The first id do is pull the cover of the fuse panel and spin all the fuses in there,my power windows dident work and when i did that, presto! Cheers, scott

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I "think" the fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox. The symptoms you describe would lead me here first. I'm sure someone with an early 107 will have more accurate info for you.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think his FPR is above the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

I suppose another possibility is that crud from the almost empty tank has blocked the fuel supply somewhere ....

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,604 Posts
I think his FPR is above the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

I suppose another possibility is that crud from the almost empty tank has blocked the fuel supply somewhere ....
Fuel pump and filter are behind the RR axle.

Relay is is the top left one above the fuses on the right side. Remove the cover surrounding the fuses.

Most of this is covered in the D-Jet section of the EGv 107

Attachments

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts

That's my bet, with a caveat.

The ONLY time I ran my SLC down to the low fuel light it caused an electrical short, blowing the dash fuse and killing all the instrumentation. Never got around to pulling the sender or otherwise diagnosing the issue, and don't know if something similar but different might possibly be causing the OP's problem.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,604 Posts
Where are our manner? Hell we don't have any.

Welcome to 107 asylum. Just noticed you are new here.

The EGv107 I referenced in my post is the Sticky "Encyclopaedia Germanica volume 107" located at the top of the 107 main page. It contains information on most all 107 models and tips for diagnosing problems like you have. Also has a section on front sub frame failure which you really should read. Here is the link to it.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1450550-encyclopaedia-germanica-volume-107-aka-egv107.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You

Thank you all for your quick responses! It seems I have found others in a love hate sometimes abusive relationship with a 107!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts