Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum.

I came here to get some help with my 79 240D.
Here is the situation:

All interior instrument lights do not work.
turn signals do not work (Hazard works ok)

I have checked the fuse box, all fuses seem fine.

Has anyone else ran into this problem before?

Please help me...

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Combination switch on the steering column would explain the turn signals. Do your wipers work?

Bad connection under the dash might explain some of it as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh!! Thank you so much for quick reply.

Everything else seem to work.
Wipers i used last night after installing new battery.
another thing that didnt work is speedometer and possibly odometer. I think half of the dash is dead... temp gauge, oil pressure and clock works for sure, fuel gauge and odometer is questionable, speedometer doesnt work. I would assume odometer wont work either when speedometer is out?

I just bought this from a old couple couple of months ago. Never had a time to fix anyting, but now i have some slacking to do, I want to get her fixed up.:):)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Odometer and speedometer are mechanical on W123s. You must have a grounding issue behind the dash. Only one way to fix it, and that's the hard way. Remember to label/mark the connections where they came from and where to go.

Wish I could send you a diagram, but I don't have a scanner. To get to the electrics, you will need to remove the underdash panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow... i will have to start taking it apart... can I take pictures and post here when i run into dead end? may be you can check the wiring diagram for me? or could you scan and email me the diagram ? Please?

thank you!!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
We do what we can to help. Labeling the harnesses is really as easy as you can get it, since most of them are "plug 'n play". I'm more mechanically inclined, so bare in mind you may yet have to consult an autoelectrician. But I'll see what I can do about the diagram, come the weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts