Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time,I placed a cup of hot green tea on my cup holder without a lid and when I started to drive the tea spilled all over the COMAND screen of my 2007 Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG and now two buttons on the audio system and one button that controls the right direction is broken.

Does anybody know how much will Euromotorcars charge me to get it fix?

·
Registered
06 SLK350, 12 GLK350
27 Posts
Well, you could call them for an estimate. I don't think they'll be too excited about tearing the head unit down and cleaning the buttons and replacing the discrete components, though. Replacement part cost depends very much on your VIN, but for my 2006 SLK350 with Comand the cost quoted to me for the part by my mechanic was ~$650 and we figured on an hour or two of labor to R&R the part. That part price was based on a core charge, so if the display itself was broken, the unit was going to cost even more...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you could call them for an estimate. I don't think they'll be too excited about tearing the head unit down and cleaning the buttons and replacing the discrete components, though. Replacement part cost depends very much on your VIN, but for my 2006 SLK350 with Comand the cost quoted to me for the part by my mechanic was ~$650 and we figured on an hour or two of labor to R&R the part. That part price was based on a core charge, so if the display itself was broken, the unit was going to cost even more...
I email them and they said we have to charge you for an estimate. The display is fine, but three buttons of the COMAND system is broken. $650 is so expensive. I think I could save a lot of money if I buy a GPS system. Futhermore,I won't be able to control the bass button and the sound button.

I will have to save up my money to get this repaired.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Replacing the Command unit with an aftermarket GPS, etc., sounds like a terrific option. You'll probably pay about the same amount as your repair, but you'll have a brand new unit that has more capabilities than the Command. You should be able to get a good price on one during this time of year. Maybe even get free installation. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of a GPS that costs $99 and one that I can plug into my cigarette lighter outlet.

·
Registered
06 SLK350, 12 GLK350
27 Posts
Kinda crazy how much we used to think was reasonable to pay for an inboard GPS that isn't as functional as the free one included in Google Maps now, huh?

Before you get ready to sell the car, you'll probably want to get that one fixed. Broken radios and A/C can really hurt resale value.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I thought you were talking about a GPS/AM/FM/DVD, etc., unit like this:
Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT 6.1-Inch In-Dash Double-Din Navigation A/V Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth and Widescreen Display: Electronics

I agree with bayoubenz. A basic standalone GPS unit will get you where you need to go, but when it is time to sell, you'll want to have a radio, etc., that works. If you don't have something as basic as a radio that's functioning, potential buyers are going to wonder what other kind of maintenance wasn't done on the car. At least I would.

If you can afford the splurge, go for the gusto. You'll not only enjoy your car a lot more while you have it, but it just may sway an audio enthusiast who is thinking about buying your car down the road.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think I could repair this myself? I think the hot green tea short circuited something inside. So, if I just buy the parts maybe I can do it myself. What do you think, Benzworld.org users?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts