Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Before i continue, i've tried to find the information i'm after by reading all the posts on the forum, but i'm either completely confused and out of my depth, or have missed something!

I have just bought a '54 plate c180k (November 2004), which is the w203 version and has the standard audio 20 console thing with a 6 CD changer.

I'm basically trying to connect my blackberry 8800 curve phone to the car *somehow*.

I've got buttons on the steering wheel and on the audio 20 thing for a phone, but don't seem to have any presentation for it anywhere.

I went down to the dealer near me, he bought up all the information about my car and said that from his information, there was no pre-wiring kit installe d (which contradicts what i read in http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1313173-how-guide-cell-phone-upgrades-plug.html). He then said in order to get the pre-wiring done and a bluetooth kit fitted, i would be looking at the sorry side of £1500.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a definite answer (or where i can find out) the following:

1) Is my dealer lieing to me? Stupid? Or perfectly correct?
2) Is there any way i can pre-wire the car myself, if #1 is true?
3) If there is 'wiring', but it's not presented, what bits of kit do i need to connect it to the CD system?
4) Is getting something like a parrot kit a better option? Is there any way to wire this up to the steering controls?
5) Is there any scope/potential in purchasing one of the newer head units off ebay and trying to retro-fit that?
6) If you were in my situation, what approach would you take?

I would really appreciate any advice as i'm well and truely out of my depth!

Thanks all,

Chris

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,911 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You apparently live in the U.K., with a '54 plate and prices in pounds sterling.

You can check the "How-To Guide" sticky at the top of this forum for information on cell prewiring and phones. Unfortunately, prewiring as discussed in the first post was standard on U.S. '04 models; I don't know if that was true for Euro spec. You car has a D2B fiber optics bus. However, the parts needed for your installation will not be those described in the phone bulletin or on the AWS site - they're U.S. spec only.

Whichever kit you get, be sure it is for the D2B bus, not MOST bus. My personal preference is for original MB equipment, but there are several 3rd party kits referenced by contributor Diesel Benz (Viseo is one, as I recall) that you may find satisfactory. I hesitate to recommend 3rd party kits sold for U.S. cars, for use in Euro spec cars.

You cannot retrofit an MB head unit designed for MOST bus (the newer fiber optics bus) to D2B systems, but there are 3rd party kits that are complete replacements for the audio, phone, and navigation systems in your car. Perhaps some European contributors will advise. You can upgrade your Audio 20 to a D2B COMAND unit, but you would still need to install a phone system.

You might also check out the Dension Gateway 500 iPod system with the BTA 1500 cell phone add-on. www.dension.com, and see the string at http://www.mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-good-unit-poor-documentation-2.html, especially the posts beginning with #27 and on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Skylaw, it has been extremely helpful.

I *think* though that I have the MOST system installed, as the car i've got i think is one of the newer styles of C class? At least, this is what the Denison website seems to suggest.

Am i correct in thinking that if i buy a Denison 500 and the bluetooth connection dongle, this would plug acceptably into my current stereo system and allow me to use the phone buttons on the current system?

I'm just thinking that if I have to upgrade the centre console as well as buying the denison and additional equipment, i'm looking at a hefty bill..

This would also lead me to avoid having to add the retro-fit phone kit as i understand it?

Thanks for your help Skylaw,

Chris

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Chris - If your C was manufactured after April 2004, it's got MOST bus. I've had *very* mixed results with the Denison bluetooth adapter - the iPod portion is awesome, and I can't say enough good about it, but equally I can't recommend the BT bit. Caveat here is that I've not tried one of the Denison BT adapters in the last 6 months, so things may have gotten better.

The InCarTronics BT adapter works very well, and I've had really good experience with the Parrot BT kits as well - both integrate well with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgive my ignorance, but i can't find anywhere in the uk to buy the incartronics itronic system?

Additionally, do you know any of the parrot kits that integrate with the controls? On my old company car i had a parrot kit that was 'ok', but looked a bit sh*t. I was hoping that another option would provide a more integrated approach..

Thanks for the help guys, whatever i decide i'll document and photo installation for the forum.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts