Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fender removal, not new but im in a major dog lock.I cant get the fender off. By the way thanks to all for the help along the way, hope im not using too much time & space? Iv got the bumper off, signal light out, followed previous instructions, but still doesnt budge. i believ there are 2 to 3 screwa at bottom of fender behind side skirt/ rock panel. if so how do you get the panel off without damaging it? or do i have to undo all the screws in the wheelwell? which i dont think so, but , any help will be apreciated.:surrender:

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Are you sure you removed all the nuts? From what I remember, there's one or 2 that you can access when the door is opened. Also, I remember removing a plastic shroud in the wheel well prior to removal.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are you sure you removed all the nuts? From what I remember, there's one or 2 that you can access when the door is opened. Also, I remember removing a plastic shroud in the wheel well prior to removal.
thanks, but yes i got those behind the door.except the wheelwell screws i dont think have to be unscrewed? teutone sent me a readable coppy of a shop manual where they talk about 2/3 screws which look like they are under the exterior door side panels( which i suspected,from other fender projects on diff. vehicals. now the question how do i get this panel off without damage? i see some clips in the pics but will wait till i get someons experianced advice. thanks again. meanwhile iv searched all the forums, this is a popular question.iv googled fender, & sidescirt removal/ & all i get is my pathetic plee on benz world that comes up. id like to put this to rest. & promis i wont start any more projects till winter.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, but yes i got those behind the door.except the wheelwell screws i dont think have to be unscrewed? teutone sent me a readable coppy of a shop manual where they talk about 2/3 screws which look like they are under the exterior door side panels( which i suspected,from other fender projects on diff. vehicals. now the question how do i get this panel off without damage? i see some clips in the pics but will wait till i get someons experianced advice. thanks again. meanwhile iv searched all the forums, this is a popular question.iv googled fender, & sidescirt removal/ & all i get is my pathetic plee on benz world that comes up. id like to put this to rest. & promis i wont start any more projects till winter.
one last try

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Are you referring to the plastic skirt on the bottom of the fender panel? If so it unclips from the bottom and then slides down (ie prise out from the bottom with a plastic school ruler then pull the panel down).

Otherwise, I'm not altogether sure what you are referring to...

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you referring to the plastic skirt on the bottom of the fender panel? If so it unclips from the bottom and then slides down (ie prise out from the bottom with a plastic school ruler then pull the panel down).

Otherwise, I'm not altogether sure what you are referring to...
yes these side pieces, start at fender & run along the doors, on the same visual line as the bumpers & are usualy a diff. color than the car. so you say just pry them? well iv been trying, but not nessesarily from the bottom, ill give it a whirl. is ther anything i can break? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes these side pieces, start at fender & run along the doors, on the same visual line as the bumpers & are usualy a diff. color than the car. so you say just pry them? well iv been trying, but not nessesarily from the bottom, ill give it a whirl. is ther anything i can break? thanks
thanks to all on bumper removal & side skirt removal; i got it off & only damaged 1 clip, which is still ok to use. now that i know where they are its a simple task. prying from the bottom was the answer. got the fender off too now i can perform the small repair.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Good to hear, just be aware that the skirts on the doors have a couple of nuts as well as the clips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts