Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help ASAP! Wifey left the sunroof open and we had a major thunderstorm here. Not only are the electronics going haywire. The transmission wont shift out of 1st gear. Any suggestions or am I just royally screwed. It is a 98 e32o 4matic by the way. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
ah yes, same thing happened to me. you are lucky that it was only water, not coffee or something messy.

First things first, dry the entire car. pulling the carpet, and getting some fans in there is the best way I've found.

As to the shifting, I pulled the whole thing apart, dried it out etc.

I would wait few days to see if it dries out, and try to shift again.

Im not sure if your model year has the little emergency shift flap, but if it does, try spraying some electronics cleaner in there.

May be an easier solution.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Need help ASAP! Wifey left the sunroof open and we had a major thunderstorm here. Not only are the electronics going haywire. The transmission wont shift out of 1st gear. Any suggestions or am I just royally screwed. It is a 98 e32o 4matic by the way. Thanks for the help.
Ouch! I think that is exactly what happened to another member here. Disconnect the battery and pull the center console cover. Remove the TCM (check the DIY sticky) and dry everything out thoroughly in the TCM and console. Reinstall the TCM and connect it all back up; don't reassemble the console all the way yet. Reconnect battery and go through the resets, them try and drive it...you may get lucky. If not get a new TCM and replace it.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Oliver, I was trying to protect you! lol.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
In case you hadn't thought about it--this is something to talk to your insurance agency about.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
I

don't think they cover acts of God:D
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 E430
195 Posts
With all the gadgets MB puts on their cars I'm still surprised they didn't wire the rain sensor to close the sunroof if the car is turned off and it starts to rain. That seems like a pretty easy thing to engineer.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
don't think they cover acts of God:D
This was an accident, same as driving into a tree. If it was hail or flood damage it would be covered.

Maybe, maybe not, but good idea to first find out how the insurance company wants the car fixed before going off in a panic.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Just pulling

your leg:D
Worth a try with insurance.Never heard of it working for a self induced issue.
disconnect battery.spray the unit down with crc maf cleaner into the detent that allows a pen to engage neutral amnd let it dry for a day.I got three forum members cars started and out od limp mode so he might be at least number for.
hope:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Easy there, Greg...

After all the time you have spent around this forum, you must realize that some people expect the members to do ALL their research for them...:D

Nice of you to be so obliging through...:bowdown:

JR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys. I found them after I sent that post out. I apologize. Please forgive the rookie........lol. Thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Sorry guys. I found them after I sent that post out. I apologize. Please forgive the rookie........lol. Thanks for your help though.
Hey, E, you know I'm just giving you a hard time. I just hope you get lucky on this and the disassembly/drying out process works for you. Do be sure to disconnect the battery throughout the process, and also be sure you do not have the key in the ignition when you disconnect or reconnect the battery.

Take care and enjoy the "dry" ride,
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts