Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
SLK-230
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to sell my slk 230 and purchase a 2000 BMW M Coupe. My plane leaves in about 40 minutes and I am driving home from work. I pass a construction site at 40mp and after I pass that I gently push the car up to 60 or so. Well it seems that when I got that extra bump from my supercharger the car blew all the oil!!! smoke everywhere! Luckily I am a block from my house so park the car on the side of the road and walk to my waiting ride. Ended up getting the coupe and making a 1000 mile journey home in it. Awesome car, well worth the trip. Back the the main story. WTF could have happened to my car? I just got back so haven't had time to go look at it very well.

If this is a major expensive repair then I am gonna be busted. I can't sell the car broke and can't afford the notes on 3 cars. Any ideas on what might have happened here. Tell me its not gonna be expensive please! Anyone blew all their oil in the car? Damage anything? Expensive to fix?

How about the financial situation? Any recommendations? I just spent a ton of money on plane tickets, gas home, TTL, and wasn't planning of having a 3rd note.

I could probably sell the coupe and make a profit but I don't want to release that thing from my cold dead hands

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
take pics of what's under the hood. Best case one of the houses off and no real damage is done. Worst case you'll need new(refurb) engine\transmission - 3-10K$

Finance wise - home equity loan probably the best way to get cash.

If car is not that old - you may have a chance of MB picking up portion of repairs. There is also a chance that insurance may cover it if you had a fire under the hood.

·
Registered
SLK-230
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks normal under the hood. I can't see where the oil came from. The car will start but thre is obvioiusly no oil in it. I guess I can get some oil and see where its coming from. Tranny seems ok, no obvious problems there. Are there any seals that will blow and cause the oil to come out so quick?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
ikarma said:
looks normal under the hood. I can't see where the oil came from. The car will start but thre is obvioiusly no oil in it. I guess I can get some oil and see where its coming from. Tranny seems ok, no obvious problems there. Are there any seals that will blow and cause the oil to come out so quick?
Did you ran it without oil ? What's on dipstick ? If you put oil in it - will it leak ?

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Did you remove the plastic engine cover and inspect the oil filter cap - maybe some leaked from there? Oil has to have come from somewhere.

Look for puddles under car where it was parked while on your trip.

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
308 Posts
Check Dip Stick!!!

ikarma said:
Check dip stick,add oil if needed.
Start car to see if oil is leaking out somewhere,might put plastic on floor first :)

NEVER EVER START CAR WITH NO OIL SHOWING ON STICK!!

Taking home equity loan is not the best way to get cash,esp with real estate market slowing down as it is right now.

Best way is to sell car,extra payment gone,save on ins as well.
Put money from above towards new ride.

Taking the easy way is not always the best.

·
Registered
2003 230 Previous 200 & AMG 32,
464 Posts
I woudn't try to start if there's any chance of no oil ....I'd get it lifted to the garage as its not worth mega bucks on a seized engine.

On the brighter side, your BMW M coupe is a nice performance choice for the bucks, the M coupe was one of only a few cars that kept up with my old 32.

·
Registered
SLK-230
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
worst of the worst

I pushed my car home and looked around under the engine. There is a huge hole in the engine block near the transmission on the driver side. There are chuncks of metal strewn about the engine compartment. The engine is dead, car might as well be totaled. I cannot understand how or why this happened.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
Damn... First one that I have heard of that had blown up. Sorry bud.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
ikarma said:
I pushed my car home and looked around under the engine. There is a huge hole in the engine block near the transmission on the driver side. There are chuncks of metal strewn about the engine compartment. The engine is dead, car might as well be totaled. I cannot understand how or why this happened.
Sorry to hear - talk to MB on this - they may be willing to do something about it. I remember somebody posting simular problem on AMG engine in E-class -but that probably was under warranty.

To put used engine in the car should be about 5K$ - that probably your best route if MB woudn't do anything.

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
308 Posts
ikarma said:
You say car started after it broke down the first time?
Must be some kind of miracle with that kind of damage.

·
Registered
SLK-230
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
car will start right now, but makes horrible metalic noise. I doubt that MB will do anything because the car has been wrecked in the past (in the first 10k miles of its life) car had 52k miles.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
ikarma said:
car will start right now, but makes horrible metalic noise. I doubt that MB will do anything because the car has been wrecked in the past (in the first 10k miles of its life) car had 52k miles.
Does it have clear title ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I doubt we are gettng the whole story here.

Motors with 50k on them(especially MB) do not let go without some pretty good persuasion.

That motor would have been tapping or knocking a bit before it just threw a rod.Which is what sounds like happened.A hole in the block comes form rotating mass and the crankshaft is just that.

You could lean out(detonate) till you blew a hole in a piston but that wouldn't come flying out of the block.

I've seen many a blown engine crank and run with a hole in the block.It's definitly done but totally possible to still run.It all depends where the rod broke and how how long till the piston drops down far enough to get hit.

Sorry to hear about the crappy timing...:(

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Couldn't have thrown a rod and still be able to run, even with nasty noise. Sounds like he spun a rod bearing. To get to the bearings you have to remove the oil pan, to remove the oil pan you have to remove the motor mounts and lift the engine as high as it goes, at that point it's not that much more difficult to remove the entire engine and work on a stand where it's more comfortable to work on. If it's just a spun rod bearing and they can get to it from the bottom to repair and there was no really reason for it to break (like clogged oil galleys or faulty oil pump), then it may only costs $1,000-1,500. But rod bearings don't break on their own, it's usually very low to non existant oil pressure and as such, probably harmed more of the engine than just the rod bearings, those are just the first to go because of the tremendous pressure on them. Hence, a replacement engine is your best bet, maybe a 3.2L maybe better, easier to get because there are so many MB's that use that motor.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Yeah, just stuff a rag in the hole another up the bore and sell it with a small oil leak and a slight miss.:twak:

With a hole in the side something has broken. Post a pic...?
Unless the hole is in the sump it will still have oil in there but unfortunately untill you know what has let go you must assume its buggered.:(

Now if it just had a fault code you could clear it

Bazzle

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
308 Posts
Bazzle said:
Yeah, just stuff a rag in the hole another up the bore and sell it with a small oil leak and a slight miss.:twak:

With a hole in the side something has broken. Post a pic...?
Unless the hole is in the sump it will still have oil in there but unfortunately untill you know what has let go you must assume its buggered.:(

Now if it just had a fault code you could clear it

Bazzle
Yeah, just stuff a rag in the hole another up the bore and sell it with a small oil leak and a slight miss.

Hey Baz,
You sound like a used car salesman.
With your talent you could make major bucks!!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
penbed51 said:
Yeah, just stuff a rag in the hole another up the bore and sell it with a small oil leak and a slight miss.

Hey Baz,
You sound like a used car salesman.
With your talent you could make major bucks!!
I used to work for several of them years ago. I once pulled a differential cover off a car they had sold because it was making noise. The oil inside was like paste. I found out later that some one had crammed Banana peels inside. Seems it was a old trick that will make a gear box run quiet for a few thousand miles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts