Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my car sit for about 4 months and when I try to start it, it doesn't turn all the way. It sounds like starter gears "pinging" or something. Could it just be that my battery doesn't have enough juice anymore?

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's been almost a year since I've started her! I tried jumping her today with a car that has a smaller battery. Same thing :( It sounds like the starter is out or something. Has anyone tried jumping their cars and it wouldn't start but started when you got a new battery? Could it just be that I should just get a brand new battery? I want to make sure if it's just the battery, otherwise i'll spend the day to get the battery and everything else that I need for her.

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
I would suspect battery. Record what your hearing and post. Also, you can use the ac controls to show battery voltage. If you complete your profile the real experts may chime in with a good solution.

And if it's been setting for a year I'd check/change a lot of things, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid ps fluid, airbox for rodents/bugs/dirt, tires are probably flat spotted...

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon
250 Posts
If it sat for a year, there's little doubt you need a battery no matter what. Just go get one. Take the old one with you and have it tested if you really want, but you can't let a car battery discharge like that and expect it to work again.

If you're in the habit of letting your car sit for that long, I'd recommend getting a float charger for the battery. Car batteries are too expensive these days to neglect. :)

Definitely check the things mentioned above, but I'd also guess you might need new rotors (or at least have them turned) at this point. Try driving on them for a week or so. If they still pulse, chances are they're not going to get better.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,705 Posts
Gear grinding is unusual for weak battery. but jumping might fool the computer. You are risking expensive computers trying the starter on jump power without charging the main battery.
The computer monitors the voltage and if drops below the specification, it will not engage starter at all. Meaning no click, no grinding, nothing.
So I would suggest do more testing before buying new battery, unless the old one is over 10 years of age.
Start with cleaning the battery connection and then display the car voltage on LCD and try to catch the reading while you hear the grinding.

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon
250 Posts
I've never had a battery last ten years. I replaced the OEM battery in our Outback last year and was a bit surprised when I realized it was the original. It had lasted seven years. That's quite long, in my experience, so I bought another one from the dealer.

Batteries that are allowed to sit and discharge completely might never work again.

Though that is interesting information about the car not engaging the starter at all below a certain voltage. On any other car I've experienced, a weak battery can cause all sorts of issues that look like other things. Clicking, grinding...

·
Registered
36,705 Posts
The Spanish battery in our ML320 lasted over 12 years.
With batteries you never know. I had some that has been sitting on the shelf with battery maintainer and dying in 5 years, while the twin was abused, discharged to plain 0 couple of times (headlights left overnight) and lasted 8 years.
The computer monitoring is like Limited Slip Differential. Things change in 20 Century :)

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got new battery from autozone (duralast) I also added 2.5 gallons of gas since it was empty. I hear everything! It just won't fully turn for some reason :( it's an e420 m119? v8

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
How did the old battery test?
What size battery did you get?
Also, by not fully turn, what do you mean?
Does the engine turn over but just slow?
Like rurrrrr, rurrr, rur and then stop?
And did it by chance get run down by trying to crank with no gas?
And has it cranked in the last year?
Put CC in test mode and monitor voltage while your trying to crank it, what voltage do you get?

Sorry for all the questions...but it may help solve your problem.

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started up fine last 8 months ago. 7 months ago was the last time it started. It took a little longer to start (~3 seconds). Then I started it a second time and it just died (battery). I just bought the battery earlier today. I'm sure it's the right size and has the same CC amps as the last battery. It sounds like it wants to start strong! syncronized and constant rur rur rur rurs. It wont stop trying to crank unless I turn the key into the off position.

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want to try and crank it toooo long in fear of messing up my starter and draining the battery.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
You may have fried your key if you had it in the igntion either (a) when you connected your car for the jump or (b) when you reconnected the battery - you might try your second key..

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fried my key? actually the key fob isn't even working. It fell apart a few weeks ago when I droppped it. Does that matter? It should start as long as the blade is ok shouldn't it? If not what should i do?

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
should I buy a new key from the dealer? I have the OLD BOX KEY with the flat flip blade. (one button) I shouldn't need to bring the car to the dealer to get a key right? What is it about the key fob that wont let my car start though?

·
Registered
36,705 Posts
17 replies and we still don't know the year of the car.
If that is 1997 with flip blade, there is also ignition chip build into remote.
Blade key might turn the starter, but you need the chip to activate the ignition.

·
Registered
E420
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you. Yes it's a 1997, e420, v8 m119 . My key fob fell apart and some parts are missing. Should I get a key from the dealer? I hope i don't need to bring the car in would I?

·
Registered
36,705 Posts
Dealer will sell the key with proof of ownership. They don't care about the car being present. If you have broken pieces, look for electronic chip in the size of big grain of salt. Maybe you can glue it to the blade and make it working.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts