Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the stock 16" wheels on my '97 in the next week or so and I have been doing a lot of research. I have learned more about wheels and tires than I ever wanted to know and fear there is still more to know yet.

I started out thinking about 19" wheels, but it seems that 18" wheels are a better fit for me.

As I understand it you need to lower the car if you go beyond 18" wheels. Ride noise and comfort are both important to me and I already worry about scraping my front bumper on curbs, potholes, etc., so I don't think I want to lower the car. Plus that would just be another expense and I am trying to stay around/under $2000.00 total (wheels and tires) for this project.

I am pretty sure that I want a staggered set up 18 x 8.5 18 x 9.5.

The look that I am going for is sporty but elegant. I want to minimize how long the car looks as much as possible and I want the car to look as new/modern as possible. I definitely do not want to look like a ricer with obvious aftermarket wheels. However, I would like something that you do not see on 8 out of every 10 SLs.

I have read every post that I can find on the subject on this board, but I still am not sure what I want.

I looked at these wheels from Tire Rack, but I am not sure what they would look like on the car and I can't find a picture anywhere.

I also looked at these from a local tire store.

I really like these, but I have no idea where to get them or how much they cost.

I definitely need advice from you guys that have crossed this bridge before on size, style, look, cost, where to buy, etc. I have been working on this for a while and I am no closer to a decision.

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts
hi, the pics with the car are carlsson 1/16. not to sure about the price though..

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info robinp!

It looks like these wheels only come in 19" so I can probably cross them off my list.

Does anyone else have anything to say on this subject. I am beginning to understand why I have not been able to find much in previous posts.

We will give our opinions on everything under the sun about an SL500 or anything in the least way related to an SL500, i.e. the most recent SL500 briefcase debate [:)], but I can't get any comments about the wheels I am going to put on the car?

Come on guys, throw me a bone here.

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts
try this link . i think they have 18" but not too sure if the offsets are right.Think they should be using spacer like the lorinser.Keep me informed. http://www.carlssonproductsusa.com/store/index.html?target=p_257.html&lang=en-us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts