Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping I could get some help with the value of a 1968 Mercedes 200d. It’s really nice shape but the shed it was stored in collapsed and pushed the roof in. The window trims are all good yet. Also one fin got damage. It has 113,000 miles and RUNS. I have pics but still trying to figure out how to post them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a pick. I guess it does have a little rust, but it is a Midwest car, so nice shape for this area. I don’t believe it was ever driven in the winter though. Still can’t figure out how to post a pic.

·
Registered
416 Posts
depending on the interior, Id say a 500-800$ car , may be worth more parting out. Looks like it would be a labor of love , those body bangs would not be easy to fix...

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Probably.
Bumpers, hood, glass, fenders, doors, instruments- all desirable to the right buyer.

Or, get it running and ask $2K.
Unless the sheet metal issues were resolved, would you pay $2k for this car?

Methinks not.

And the key phrase, "all desirable to the right buyer" is the killer.

Besides the roof being crushed the rockers are swiss cheese. No telling what the floors look like, if they're even there.

For those who have parted cars (I have on a number of occasions) it is rarely, if ever, a profit generating undertaking. Between the labor, effort to sell/list on places like eBay, pack, ship, continue to store the remains, you're upside down unless there is something that's really unique or of great value on the car. And when it's all said and done, you have to dispose of the remains, which can be difficult any more. Scrap yards aren't paying that well for cars, and when you live in a relatively rural area, it's even harder to find someone to take it.

I've only parted cars when there were enough parts on them to be of value to me, and the rest could go to the crusher.

In this case I believe the car doesn't even belong to the poster, so their efforts might not even be of benefit to themselves to begin with.

Unless there is someone with a need within a reasonable distance with a means to move it, the car is a parts car on the very best day.

I'm just saying....

·
Registered
138 Posts
There was an Oldsmobile nearby for sale- it had similar damage to this damaged Mercedes 220.

I bought it for $700.
Using a hydraulic jack & 2x4's from the cockpit, I pushed out the dent,
had a PDR guy further straighten out the wavy sheet metal ($80.),
then I filled it with plastic body filler ($15.)
and painted it with matching paint in an aerosol can ($25.).

Drove it for 5 years, then sold it for $1200.
……………………………………………………………........

A little bit of Bill Hirshman's HD Miracle Paint, over some fiberglass sheets, and that Swiss Cheese could turn to a solid Cheddar.

That left rear wing could be replaced with one from E-bay for a couple hundred $.

On this 220, the OP says it is in nice shape, Runs, with 115K mile.

We live in a throw away society, it is unfortunate that usable old cars are trashed.

Somebody in Europe or Africa would know how to save this 220.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Kudos for your enterprising efforts.

However, the reality is that the majority of people who would look at this car would not see it as a candidate for recovery or restoration - unless - they had the resources or simply wanted to get an old beater running.

Again, it all comes down to the "right" buyer. And finding that buyer is the key. Maybe 5% of the total group of people that would be interested to begin with, I would think.

And I would add that the rocker panels are structural members, so if they're rusted away no amount of fiberglass and Bill Hirschmann's Miracle Paint will restore the structural integrity of the car. It would be irresponsible to put it on the road under those circumstances.

But - to each his/her own. You find that "right" buyer for them, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. And remember - "usable" does not mean "safe". You're using the same roads that the rest of us are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
LWB250
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing