Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having problems with my throttle linkage. Bascially my car wont go into gear it will just troll in drive mode. When I press the throttle to the floor, it will move the linkage but only about half way. By hand if you move it it will rev the engine per normal. Im stuck at work right now and not exactly what to do, all the linkage looks connected, I drove it this morning and it was perfectly fine and then when I got in my car to go to lunch nothing. It seems a little drastic to be a lubricant issue but I dont have any other ideas.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Look at the point where your linkage goes into a pivot bolted to your firewall - that's the Accelerator Pivot Mount and if the plastic bushing breaks, you'll get those symptom. If it's broken, look closely at and you'll see how you can jam it back into the bushing and at least get home.
The part is not expensive, easy to change and you can get if from Performance Products or maybe from the local MB dealer if they carry parts for older MB's.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Look at the point where your linkage goes into a pivot bolted to your firewall - that's the Accelerator Pivot Mount and if the plastic bushing breaks, you'll get those symptom. If it's broken, look closely at and you'll see how you can jam it back into the bushing and at least get home.
The part is not expensive, easy to change and you can get if from Performance Products or maybe from the local MB dealer if they carry parts for older MB's.
This part? https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ibny2ca2v0errlqlnexltin3&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=1984&[email protected] & Air System&[email protected] Cable Part

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help went to a MB dealer and got it once i saw the issue. Was back up and running in no time. Would have never realized to replace that part i thought I already fixed all these types of issues

·
Registered
337 Posts
thanks for the help went to a MB dealer and got it once i saw the issue. Was back up and running in no time. Would have never realized to replace that part i thought I already fixed all these types of issues
That's what's great about this site - no matter what problem you have with a 123, someone has already had the problem and can help. Sometimes a question or answer will come from the other side of the world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this same issue on my w123 this afternoon. I was baffled, at first, and it was dark...and of course, the flashlight battery was dead. The linkage in the engine compartment worked fine, only the gas pedal wouldn't function. So, using a 6ft length of twine I just happen to have in the trunk, I tied it to the linkage and ran it to the driver's side window. With one hand out the window, I was able to easily pull enough on the linkage to drive normally. I had noticed on the way to work earlier in the day, that the car was sluggish, as if a fuel filter was clogged. As it turns out, this rubber pivot mount near the firewall was giving way with age and eventually split, leaving the accelerator pedal completely useless. I laughed to myself on the way home holding the reign attached to the linkage, I felt like I was riding a horse! I did get a few odd looks from other drivers at stop lights....the light would turn green and I'd give it a quick jerk and yell "Giddy up ole girl...Giddy UP!" :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
**bump it up**

hey there - my turbo diesel accelerator linkage firewall mount is cracked in the rubber part and i have all the symptoms you have described.

you guys mentioned that it was easy to change, but i dont have any kind of manual. is there anyway someone could describe the process to me?

this is a picture of the part i am talking about:

https://mercedessource.com/node/4262

thanks for any effort you put forth for me, im new to this car and am sad that it isnt driving as well as it did a month ago.

:)

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
hey there - my turbo diesel accelerator linkage firewall mount is cracked in the rubber part and i have all the symptoms you have described.

you guys mentioned that it was easy to change, but i dont have any kind of manual. is there anyway someone could describe the process to me?

this is a picture of the part i am talking about:

https://mercedessource.com/node/4262

thanks for any effort you put forth for me, im new to this car and am sad that it isnt driving as well as it did a month ago.

:)
Bumping two old threads on the same topic? :rolleyes:

2x 8mm screws (sockets work), long nose pliers (for spring clip), 10mm socket to remove linkage rod, flat blade screwdriver to pry off ball from socket on inboard side of bushing assembly.

Should be straightforward. Remove 10mm nut on linkage rod (near STOP lever, nut is on rear side of linkage). Remove spring clip. Pry off ball joint. Then remove 2x 8mm screws.

Installation is reverse of removal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had this same issue on my w123 this afternoon. I was baffled, at first, and it was dark...and of course, the flashlight battery was dead. The linkage in the engine compartment worked fine, only the gas pedal wouldn't function. So, using a 6ft length of twine I just happen to have in the trunk, I tied it to the linkage and ran it to the driver's side window. With one hand out the window, I was able to easily pull enough on the linkage to drive normally. I had noticed on the way to work earlier in the day, that the car was sluggish, as if a fuel filter was clogged. As it turns out, this rubber pivot mount near the firewall was giving way with age and eventually split, leaving the accelerator pedal completely useless. I laughed to myself on the way home holding the reign attached to the linkage, I felt like I was riding a horse! I did get a few odd looks from other drivers at stop lights....the light would turn green and I'd give it a quick jerk and yell "Giddy up ole girl...Giddy UP!" :D
This happened to me along the motorway and had to use a bag strap to pull the accelator linkage from the window. I was even overtaking other cars during the time. Had a sore arm after the trip though.

Made a metal clamp to hold the rubber thingy when I got home. Such a hassle. Can it be converted to a simpler and more efficient cable type accelerator? I feel the mutliple links rob the throttle of a complete pull. This is the one thing I do not like about my 123.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts