Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

First time potential buyer of a 560SL and need some advise. I'm considering buying a 1988 560SL with 75K miles for $10K. However, the details communicated by the seller raise questions, no repair or maintenance paperwork. Latest Carfax mileage shows 49K in 2003. Left side impact accident in 2003 and a bunch of known problems.

The price is tempting, but how much extra can I expect in repairs? I'm getting a PPI done tomorrow and will know more then too. Just wanted to see if you would walk away from this many questions now, or take the risk because of the low miles and decent price. Below the email from seller:

Exterior of the car is in good shape no rust that I can see, a few dings in driver side door but paint shines well for a 23 year old car. Interior is also in good shape, new leather seat covers 2 years ago carpet in rear has some fading but over all good shape. I have no service records for car. Engine runs strong uses about 1 qt. of oil a month if driven alot. Car has a leak from the steering box and also leaking alittle anti-freeze location not found yet. No dash warning lights, Rear defrost does not work for the hardtop. AC does not work, compressor has a leak. Suspension could us a good going over to get that new car feel again. Mileage is a good guess as the odometer stopped working about 2 years ago but speedometer works fine. Car does not get much use. The convertable tops has been replaced about 3 years ago and is in great shape. Orignal wheels have been chromed and tires are at about 50% worn. Overall a great 560SL for the price, needs some TLC if this is a car you want to keep. My guess would be about a $3000 investment in this 560SL would make it great

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Depends on where you are , but I see a lot of potential issues there. You should be able to find a very nice 560SL with NO issues for 10 large in this depressed market. Look at this one in my area... this one even has the rare automatic engine (see attached)

I would keep looking. I think you will find much more than $3K that needs doing- the A/C alone could be that

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Put simply, don't buy it. Too many red flags. I sold my own 1988 560SL this year, and it was like pulling teeth. Believe me, there are not a lot of buyers out there bidding up prices. My car had NO issues, was quite presentable and was well known here on BW107.

It is a buyers market. Wait, find a car that meets your criteria, passes an inspection and bargain hard. I think you'll be surprised at how willing to move on price the seller might be.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
I would not walk away from that one for 10K. I would run. Too many expensive things wrong and the mileage is very, very questionable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If all was in proper working order, I think the price is acceptable, depends on the market. I paid quite a bit more than that for mine, with no mechanical issues. It's all about finding the right car for you. I'd agree though, for $10k you should be able to do much better, or at least find one with some level of documentation.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought a much better '88 560sl a year ago for $5500, and have since taken care of almost every issue you have mentioned, as well as others, and still have not spent $10K in total.
My advice reflects everyone else's here. Keep looking, there's a better deal out there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know the car he is talking about. I am of the opinion that it needs MUCH more than 3K. I was going to look at the car too, but after the same reply to my request for information, I passed. I have looked at cars requiring less work for half the money. Just have not found the right one yet, I will though!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just purchased mine for under $5k. Full set of maintenance records, 83k mi, overall good condition. Car rides awesome.

They are out there. $10k is alot of money for that car. Of course, if were a sweet car with no issues, it would be worth more than that, but it's not...

Keep looking, and don't be so quick to purchase. There are alot of these on CL and ebay. If you keep looking, you will find some real deals on cars that require less than this car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts