Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you can help me out - I'm ready to replace the cam oil tubes.

I have all the equipment and tools.

MY ONLY QUESTION is: HOW do I properly disconnect the three remaining vacuum hoses I have outline in the pictures>?

As you can see two connect to the fuel injector and I don't want to turn a wrench in there for fear of damaging the delicate injector tubes.

So - Do I disconnect from the other end?

Please advise - I want to make sure I tackle this from the best end possible without damaging injector in the tight space.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1548047-well-i-did-bought-1991-ouch-4.html#post4409871

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
The two close together, are gas lines just hold the fitting with wrench use an other to
loosen the nut put a rug under to catch the gas.
Preferred method is to disconnect the battery, or no key in the ignition.

The other line with the check valve is the vacuum line for the brakes.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought those were gas lines since they went straight into the injector.

Do I have to remove those to access the covers? Is that the only way?

Was hoping not to have to mess with gasoline lines just to access the valve covers?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I''m confused as someone thinks my 1991 Sl 500 does NOT have plastic cam oil tubes!

Anyway I can check if I'm doing all this for the right reason? Can I look it up somehow?

I still have a nasty tap on the from driver's cylinder that just developed after pushing the car for what was probably its fastest drive ever.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
The two close together, are gas lines just hold the fitting with wrench use an other to
loosen the nut put a rug under to catch the gas.
Preferred method is to disconnect the battery, or no key in the ignition.

The other line with the check valve is the vacuum line for the brakes.

Regards,
aam.
Ditto the rags, also a small fan to vent fumes and maybe a baby food jar to catch any gas once line disconnected and maybe golf tees to insert into the lines and some wire, electrical or duct tape to secure the tees in the lines to keep them from leaking while you work on the tubes (I'm not saying you have plastic tubes that need replacing - I'll let someone else with more knowledge confirm that question).

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
Read my engine ticking thread, it may help you.
Oil bridges are not the only problem for noise, sludge, broken guides, anything that will block the circulation, etc.

If you have oil leaking from the covers, then you must get in there and at the same time have a look for other problems.

Fan idea is good but open space is better.

If fan is to close may ignite the fumes.

I think the wrenches for the gas line are 17 mm as there in no space on the regulator fitting I have thin the wall flats out of one wrench to make fit.
On the other side going to the fuel distributor, I think that it was OK.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Albert and all - for now I decided to re-assemble the air intake assembly and vacuum hoses and put it all back together.

I'm afraid of working on that fuel line which is cemented (as emailed) in place and would require more force than I care to exert in a sensitive, narrow area surrounded by fuel injector lines. I can see me with my clumsiness ... slippling while leaning on the wrench - and tearing a fuel injector line = $3,000

I'm going to swallow my pride of being independent and send this one to the mechanic.

He already quoted me $160 for replacing the valve gasket (it is leaking on that side) and I'll ask him to see what's going on while he's in there.

Meanwhile - I did change the airfilters - and vaccuumed all the pieces of crumbled hood pad out of the manifold while in there.

So it wasn't a total loss of time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I did accomplish so far:

Fixed passenger seat folding latch
Replaced casette holder with felt lined storage tray
Fixed armrest button so it can slide in and out (very easy fix - found the latch under the casette tray when I opened it!)
Replaced Hood Pad
Had wife shampoo entire interior
cleaned all leather
temporarily fixed sunvisor (using rubber bands)

The valve tap is for the mechanic - time to delegate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts