Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 280GE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an attempt to replace some bulbs on the instrument cluster of my 280GE this morning. I was successful in getting all of the bulbs to light up, however I noticed that the turn signals stopped functioning. I started up the car and noticed that the fuel gauge, temperature gauge and tachometer had all stopped functioning. Because the car started fine and I was late for work, I drove the car. Within 3 miles the car just died and would not restart. It was almost as if I had run out of fuel. It will turn over, but it sounds as if no fuel is being pumped.

Is it possible that I crossed some wires and fried the ECM? Anyone familure with this problem?

TKS!

Anthony

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Anthony

Check your grounding wires. Most of these are brown wires that are attached to various parts of the chassis. Check behind you dash where you removed the cluster. Check you negative ground on the battery and any other places that you may have messed with when you changed the bulbs.

Additionally make sure you fully plugged the harness on the back of the instrument cluster.

If you blew something, check the fuses under you dash and replace the ones that are blown with ones of the same amperage.

Let us know how it turned out.

Mark

·
Registered
1987 280GE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, thanks for the advice. I am still having trouble with this and would appreciate very much any other suggestions. All ground wires appear to be in place. It is very strange. The car will not start (possibly fuel pump is effected?), turning signals do not function and tachometer does not function. All fuses are intact and the wiring harness is definetly seated properly.

????

Thanks!

Anthony

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
It seems that some electrical module is connected in series with some part of the IC. Try to get the IC in the working condition as before the bulb operation.

·
Registered
1987 280GE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, ikeakayke. however, everything was functioning properly befor I changed the bulbs. I do recall hearing what sounded like a very slight electical charge/discharge as I was adjusting one of the bulbholders on the back of the fuel gauge. at that point I had changed all of the bulbs and had reconnected the ground wire to the battery. is it possible that a short could have damaged the computer?

thanks again, all!

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
so the ground battery wire was disconnected before you removed the first bulb? in another way , when you heard that discharging sound the ground was disconnected?

·
Registered
1987 280GE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, the ground was connected when I heard discharge. I had been very careful to remove the battery from the circuit while replacing the bulbs, but one bulb (I believe it was behind the fuel gauge did not light up. I attempted to adjust the bulb holder with the cirquit energized so that I could see when the bulb lit-up. I got the bulb to illuminate, but everything else seems to have failed.

TKS!

A

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
It is curios that after the 'discharge' noise the car run fine and only after 3 miles it died. It would seem as if the fuel pump is dead. I wouldn't consider a bad ECM so easily. They are very strong and well protected. Besides I think the engine will not turn at all with a bad ECM. It most certanly is something pretty simple that doesn't allow your fuel pump to run, and all the other IC stuff.

You should either start measuring voltages at fuses, pumps, etc or get an electrician to do it.

·
Registered
280GE 1987
41 Posts
If you can't hear the fuelpump running, then check the fuel pump relay (under the dashboard near your foot (assuming lefthand drive). It's a black one, with "6-zyl" written on it. There is no fuse in the fuel pump line, I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts