Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of porterfield front brake pads for less dust and i have had major squelling noise since i put them on. It got to the point where peopl down the street could hear it, it was ridiculously loud. I went back to porterfield and exchanged for another set of pads, and same thing happens. I was told to change the rotors because the aftermarket pads may be too "rough" on the stock rotors. Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
You bought it from Porterfield directly?...

I purchased a set of porterfield front brake pads for less dust and i have had major squelling noise since i put them on. It got to the point where peopl down the street could hear it, it was ridiculously loud. I went back to porterfield and exchanged for another set of pads, and same thing happens. I was told to change the rotors because the aftermarket pads may be too "rough" on the stock rotors. Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Formymercedes.com has a special comprehensive 5 step anti-squeal kit that they include with their Porterfields. Perhaps you should contact them to see if they can sell it to you separately.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Have you tried...

They squeal loudly for about a month and then it subsides considerably. I get occasional squealling, not too bad.
Spraying the calipers/brakes with a heavy flow of water? I find that in many cases, the squeal is caused by an excess of brake dust.

Then again, many high performance pads squeal a little, so I think that it's just a small price to pay for the benefits [:)]

·
Registered
C230K Orion Blue, C1
6 Posts
I wound up with some squeal after installing Porterfield pads on my coupe, and I resolved ...

I wound up with some squeal after installing Porterfield pads on my coupe, and I resolved it by applying more anti-squeal paste on the backs, AND lightly sanding the pad fronts so there were no visible shiny spots. Check your pads, if you see any shiny (smooth) spots on the pads, sand them with a fine grit sandpaper.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Ahh, thanks for sharing...

I wound up with some squeal after installing Porterfield pads on my coupe, and I resolved it by applying more anti-squeal paste on the backs, AND lightly sanding the pad fronts so there were no visible shiny spots. Check your pads, if you see any shiny (smooth) spots on the pads, sand them with a fine grit sandpaper.
MB actually specifies an anti-squeal paste called Moly-Kote. Was that what you used?

·
Registered
C230K Orion Blue, C1
6 Posts
Drew, the product is called "Brake Quiet" and it comes in a pack of two tubes. It's a blu...

Drew, the product is called "Brake Quiet" and it comes in a pack of two tubes. It's a blue paste. Sells for about $3 USD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts