Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300se
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to the forum, I just got my first S Class for $250(no radio,claimed head gasket blown and wasn't) and in the process of some serious education on the Bose system, seeing as my amp is broken, I wanted to remove all the speakers, seeing as they are in excellent shape, to sell them or trade them to get an aftermarket system.

Here is the deal, Trying to do this how it should be done, On an attempt to remove my w140 backseat(nonelectric) I know there are 2 clips and 1 latch that involve the rear headrests. 2 are the clips to hold the head rest rails in place. I pulled the latch up, and thats my mistake, I can't figure out how to get it back down. The headrest bumps against it.

Until I get it fixed I can't get the trim and the 2 screws that attach the seat to the frame of the car. Can anyone help me.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL, 1993 400 SEL, 1986 420 SEL, 1977 450 SL, 1984 300D, 1981 380 SL, 1983 500 SL
606 Posts
Not sure why you are trying to access the amp and speakers from behind the rear seat. They are only accessible from the trunk area. My amp was shot so I ran four sets of speaker wires to the trunk area from the stereo area and put in an aftermarket stereo and utilized the speakers that are in the car, without the amp(cut the wires off the amp) and hooked the cut wires to the wires I ran from the front and everything works great. The problem with the headrest...I don't know, but someone here will eventually help you out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1992 300se
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the concern, but my problem is I need to take the speakers out, In order to do that the back seat must come out to remove the suede panel, I was going to do it properly but Im going use the dremel for that job.

The headrest has still got me.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
The rear headrests on my '95 coupe didn't operate when I bought it and I had to replace the head rest MOTORS (not pneumatic) to get them working again.

$250 W140 Mercedes? Hmmm...just may be the most expensive car you ever bought, if you intend to return it to fully functioning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1992 300se
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part of the expensive part is true, but believe it or not the most of the parts are cheaper than the dodge dynasty that I had before it burned out with the exception of shocks, plug wires, and the distributor cap/button. A lot easier to work on too.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I think you have to remove the two side trim panels to get to two hold downs, plus bolts at the bottom. The speakers come out thru the top. As to the radio In your 92 it is a two piece affair, the front is nothing but a control, the tuner is in the trunk at the base of the rear wheel, the Bose amp sits up a little higher, you need an antenna extension to go to the front. The control is connected to the tuner by a large din cable and there are four power wires, power, ground, antenna. The speakers are unique, the four in the rear deck (two tied together), there is in each rear door in a unique enclosure, there are two in each front door in another very unique enclosure, and a tweeter behind the rear view mirror, they are powere by a seven channel Bose amp. The two outboard speakers on the dash were for the CTEL if you have them. The door panels are a real chore to remove, and require the removal of the seat control panels, and some hidden fasteners, plus you will probably break some of the plastic retainers, a MB item $5.00 each, do a search on door panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts