Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just recently purchased a 1980 Mercedes Benz 280TE from Tx. It is a beautiful, solid car with alot of potential and character. However, it has more work than i thought. For the body (not the motor) i cant find any dealerships/websites that sel parts for this. its either 280E, 280SE, OR 280CE. this car is a dark blue, however it needs alot. if you could respond, ill send pics of this car..
Thanks a bunch,
Jordan

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
the only thing that's going to be different body wise is the hatch lid... the location of the license plate bolts is different than the USA cars.

your doors will not have OEM side intrusion bars, your bumpers are different than USA cars too.

in the early years when I had my 280TE, I used to tell the dealer/vendor that I was buying parts for a 300TD to prevent confusion when I needed anything other than engine parts, and a 280E if I needed engine bits. works well.

good luck. i have lots of 280TE info if you need it I've owned mine for > 10 years and have been restoring it for 4.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
the only thing that's going to be different body wise is the hatch lid... the location of the license plate bolts is different than the USA cars.
US cars had the same location for the bolts as the Euro cars, but US cars had an adapter plate installed at the factory (part # 123-817-01-11) to allow the US plates to fit. The OP can install the same adapter plate to achieve the same affect if it had not been done when the car was federalized.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
US cars had the same location for the bolts as the Euro cars, but US cars had an adapter plate installed at the factory (part # 123-817-01-11) to allow the US plates to fit. The OP can install the same adapter plate to achieve the same affect if it had not been done when the car was federalized.
interesting. I did not know this. guess I should get one of those and quit drilling plates :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol thats a nice car, i like the color, as well. i meant 12 NOON TOMORROW lol, POSTED TODAY. lol so i will post them between 9 and 11 am tomorrow, btw, im in connecticut

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The winshield needs replaced, the rear hatch wont stay open (need Valco Hatch Strut) interior is horrible the body is dirty, it needs new wires; and somemore....

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your stressing about the hatch not staying up , then this car is going to be way over your head to keep going.. Sell it to Me :)
Are you sure it a real AMG? Whats the story on it? where did you find it ect?
PICS!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright... I know for a fact it is an AMG, and I found it on Craigslist in Texas... I have been talking to the seller since July, and i finally got it up here last week... the seller drives 18-wheelers, around the country, so it took so long for him to get it up here.. i finally got it and it has more work than i thought, but thats ok... I was just pointing out what was wrong with it.... lol im keeping it, i FINALLY HAVE PICTURES!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts