Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am seriously considering buying a 2004 SL500.....would really apprecitae anyone's input........are they Good, Bad aqand what should I consider or if anything be aware of.
Much Appreciated

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
You may want to re-post this in the R230 area - the 2004 SL500's are built on a different platform than the R129's that are the subject of this forum. Not that we don't want to help but ...

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

You may get better results from your question in the proper section of this forum. You posted in the R129 and need to ask in the R230 for that year.

A mod may move it for you. Good luck... It's a Mercedes and I know you will love it!!

EDIT: haha we posted at the same time. Funny!

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
THEY ARE BAD! 2003-present sl500s are "r230"... those are no good! if you want a real SL class, get an r129. :)
the r230's are too curvy and ugly. Hope that helps!

But as everyone said... try that forum. ;-)
I dont know about the r230 thread, but if you ever have problems this forum is the best for help!

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I am seriously considering buying a 2004 SL500.....would really apprecitae anyone's input........are they Good, Bad aqand what should I consider or if anything be aware of.
Much Appreciated
Throughout recent history since I've been interested in Benzs (post 2003+-), they've been worst in class ("class" being cars") in Consumer's Reports.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
If you insist on a Late model SL-500, I would look at a '05 or later. Someone though that anything after a R129 was not worth owning, Thats CRAP!!!!!! Probably spoken by someone that will Never be able to have one!!!!!! If not that, Then someone that has never Driven one!!!! The 05 and later have a 7speed and other improved features!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you insist on a Late model SL-500, I would look at a '05 or later. Someone though that anything after a R129 was not worth owning, Thats CRAP!!!!!! Probably spoken by someone that will Never be able to have one!!!!!! If not that, Then someone that has never Driven one!!!! The 05 and later have a 7speed and other improved features!!!!
Check Consumers Reports and other non-profit raters. After '98 you need to go Jap if you want any sort of reliability. Infinity is probably tops.

I think this is the R129 forum, so nobody should take offense at mho.

·
Registered
2004 sl500 Pewter Metallic
47 Posts
I purchased a 2004 SL500 last May. It is the most awesome car I have ever owned. It is perfect. Before I purchased it, I spoke with the previous owner. He said it was in excellent condition. He said he traded it in because he now has kids and needed something bigger. When he originally purchased it, he bought the extended warranty, so it has always been under warranty, all repairs and maintenance has been done under warranty. The car is perfect. No defects or problems, runs great, looks great, is great. I know there are some out there with problems, but I have been very fortunate with this one. It helps to know the car's history, and I was fortunate that I was able to speak with the previous owner and find one that has never been out of warranty.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
I would recommend 2005 and later. You will avoid the Gas Tank Baffle issue and get the DVD based NAV system. Always buy the lastest model you can possibly afford.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would recommend 2005 and later. You will avoid the Gas Tank Baffle issue and get the DVD based NAV system. Always buy the lastest model you can possibly afford.
I.e. spend as much money as you can beg, borrow and steal and hope for the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts