Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks guys for helping me out with my first oil change (on my own).

I own a 1993 400 SEL.

Now, I intend to flush and refill the coolant with original MB coolant in an accurate 50:50 mix with tap water.

I understand there is a drain plug below the radiator. I also learnt that there are drain plug(s) on the engine block.

Cam someone tell where the drain plugs for the coolant are?

Is there any way to power flush the coolant? There used to be a kit to instal a "Prestone" T adaptor on the coolant line to the heater to which a garden hose could be attached to power flush cars. Is this available and usable for Benz?

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Couple of comments.

Did you really mean tap water? I might suggest distilled water (or purified water, something with no salts in it).

To flush, refill with 100% distilled water, run for a few minutes, and drain again. Repeat as many times as necessary to make you happy. Then fill with your coolant/water mix.

Can't help with drain plug locations. www.alldatadiy.com

Brett

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Brett is right, DON'T use tap water. Chemistry is crucial to keeping your engine in good condition. Read this...

https://mbwholesaleparts.com/StarTuned/pdfs/AntiFreeDec04.pdf

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Iam about to do the same this summer, I have the green stuff inside, which is coming out. heres a link from an older thread about the locations of the drainplugs.

http://mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1163722&posts=5&hl=coolant+drain+plug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer tells me there are no engine block plugs for the M119 engine.
He also tells me that all they do is:
open the red plug at the radiator.
Fill in 50:50 coolant and tap water. He says that tap water is fine as long it is not well water. I am not taking sides in the tap vs distilled battle. I presume distilled is better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts