Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300SL
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 1990 300SL i bought only came with one key... i need to make spares incase i lose my key (obviously). I went to my local locksmith and they said it would cost $50 to do it... Im thinking thats a little too much since its an early SL and requires no electronics/laser etc..

Does anyone know the best way to make spares on these early SLs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the 1990 300SL i bought only came with one key... i need to make spares incase i lose my key (obviously). I went to my local locksmith and they said it would cost $50 to do it... Im thinking thats a little too much since its an early SL and requires no electronics/laser etc..

Does anyone know the best way to make spares on these early SLs?

Thanks!
If you don't care about the remote portion and just want a straight metal key, go to the dealer. About $15 each. They can't cut them on the spot, but will order them and have them in a few days based on the vin. Make sure you bring proof of ownership showing the vin such as a title.

Good luck.

George

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
I would say, go to another locksmith! The first one clearly was a fine example of theft.
I did the same with my “late” 94 and it costed me only 7 Euro’s.
The early ones do not have special keys and they can be duplicated almost anywhere.
The remote (if available) was always seperate from the key, at least for the 300.
Mine was actually made at a shoe repair shop/key locksmith.

Always go for a second opinion, it could save you a lot of money....

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
There are not many times that I say go to the dealer.
The aftermarket key will damage the locks. (The material is softer.)
And in your case the dealer is cheaper....

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
The dealer also has to keep count so they can stop issuing keys for the vin after something like 25. Lol what a silly procedure, if you need 25 you shouldn't be driving. Now where did I put those keys.lol

I know off topic and pointless...

·
Registered
'90 300SL
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i went to the dealer today and they said they dont do that... they said my only option was paying $240 for a new key like the one i have now...

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
call around. i went to a shop in cleveland and got one cut on the spot for $20.00. The only benefit from not going to the stealer is i saved myself a trip, and got the key immediately.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
That's silly.. not you 4benzes, the dealership. I got mine from the dealer, call around. They ordered mine over the phone with VIN and verified when I picked it up. If they say anything about the security part of it, tell them you just want a flat head key. If they don't like that ask for a valet key, it will at least open the doors and ignition for now.

Is your key in the flip out fob? If so you can also just ask for the metal keyed part and it is replaced into the fob. I did that one also. But, I can't remember the name of that style. We have at least three styles of keys and each named differently.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes SL, 1964 Corvette StingRay Sport Coupe, 1992 Mercedes 300 SL, Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
427 Posts
All locksmiths usually have blank keys that they make while you wait.

I suppose its is max 7 dollars to have one made.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
4 Posts
I also went to the Dealer in Longmont,Co and need a key.
They told me the only key I could get for my 95 SL320
was the keyfob for about $240 what a deal. From whats on
the forum is that a lie:crybaby2:

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes SL, 1964 Corvette StingRay Sport Coupe, 1992 Mercedes 300 SL, Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
427 Posts
Any locksmith can make that key just as easy as he makes an extra key to your house

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
I also went to the Dealer in Longmont,Co and need a key.
They told me the only key I could get for my 95 SL320
was the keyfob for about $240 what a deal. From whats on
the forum is that a lie:crybaby2:
That is not true. Mercedes Westminster did mine, they ordered it and it was around $20.00. There are several key types available and the fob is just one type. Even if you get the fob style metal insert it just pops into the fob, at least for a 96 and newer. But the older MY manual looks the same. See previous page in this thread.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Chad is correct you just need a key for about $20.
Now if you want a remote that is an other story.
You can get the remote key only if that's what you like.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1994 C 280 White with Gray Leather. 1990 500SL, 2001 E430 Sport
177 Posts
Missing key

I have a 1990 500SL and lost the key. Thought I would go the locksmith route so i removed the trunk lock and took it to a locksmith who had the blanks. He coukd not do it as it is a high security key. (pictured as master key a couple of posts before mine) The dealer ordered me one, cost $35.00. All they needed was title and my ID. Did a phone order and I took title with me when I went in. Said they could get the IR remote as well but would need the car! Key works perfect in all locks!

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
You should be able to get a valet key or non IR key which is cheaper. I bought both anyway - but money was not a big issue at the time and I did not realize my IR module was malfunctioning and not actually locking doors --- had I known that - - I would have bought Non IR verison

1 - 17 of 17 Posts