Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning to replace the head gasket of my 96 C220 and was wondering if someone who has done this type of work can give me some tips. I do have the Haynes manual for this model also but theres nothing like getting some feedback from those who have actually done the work.

(I'm replacing the gasket b/c I have been losing coolant. Finally sent oil sample to Blackstone for analysis and coolant concentration abnormally high. Car has 312k so I'm not too disappointed.)

My Indy has given me some tips such as marking the position of the chain, and that the timing has to be at TDC. I don't remember seeing the TDC part in the manual.

Also looks like I have to take the exhaust manifold off (?) Of course, drain the coolant first. I'm a bit apprehensive as I have not done it b4. Most complicated I've done with this car and my 123s is replace the center support bearing C220, water pump C220, shocks 123, remove, reboot and reinstall rear axles 123, entire exhaust 123.

Is there another reference material I can use besides the Haynes Manual? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea this guy did, I would suggest replacing the chain guide and having the head redone, (machined, new valve guides etc), at the very least, I am sure there are other things you may want to replace along the way. Post some pics if you get a chance. B

1998 Mercedes SLK 230 Head gasket removal & replacement
thanks for the link. the engine looks very similar to mine. No tdc position to worry about looks like. Just marking the chain position. I may have to order a bit more parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
re: help with head gasket

Hello,

Just wanted to provide my experience on an alternative to changing the head gasket. I have a 1994 C220. It had a blown head gasket when I bought it. There was a lot of water in the oil.

I too was planning on ripping the head off, but a friend suggested I try one of those miracle products first.

I bought a product called Blue Devil at my local autozone. It's expensive compared to other similar products ($50 if I remember right)

The product works very well. My wife has been driving the car daily now for about 2 months.

Even though they say this is a permanent fix, I do believe I will eventually have to replace the gasket, but this will buy me some time. I'd much rather do a head job during the summer then the winter.

Let me know if you want anymore details. There are a few important things that you need to do to make this product work.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Every engine has timing marks, this may help:

Attachments

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
You ought to post an email in case there is anyone here that can help you out with files. You never know who can provide what.

·
52,804 Posts
If the timing tensioner is the two piece type then fit the outer piece first followed by the inner. Fitting it as one piece may cause too much tension on the chain.

·
52,804 Posts
What are the torque specs for the head? I have a 98 C230. Thinking I may tackle this soon.
55NM followed by 90 deg and a further 90 deg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts