Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD Wagon
408 Posts
The only thing you really have to renew is the seal, assuming the bearings are okay. (don't overtight the bearing locknut! Check play carefully)
And put some lock-tight on the rotor bolts.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
You'll definetly need to replace the grease seals as you can't get the rear bearing out without removing the seal; be sure to clean, inspect, and repack the bearings. If the bearings are scored you'll want to replace them. When you put the nuts back on the bearings tighten them pretty tight to make sure the bearings seat properly, then back it off and reset it just past snug. I always put a little extra grease in the bearing cap for good measure, but that's just me. You can easily get the seals at your local parts house and save yourself the shipping cost; I got my bearings and seals at Autozone for about $40 total, and they even had them in stock.

·
Registered
1983 300D turbo with almost 300k
16 Posts
jkinsey said:
how do you get the bearing cap off?

I usually put the lugs back in, and get out my small prybar (read big screwdriver) and use the lugs as a place to leverage against. Then I just work my way around.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
jkinsey said:
how do you get the bearing cap off?
I use a flat head screw diver against the rib on the cap and tap out on it. You will have to tap all the way around to get it off evenly. When you are putting it back on don't hit the center of the cap because it will crush. Tap around the outside edge with the screw driver.
Jon

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
The rotors are attached to the hubs on the back side with allen bolts that are locktited on. To get the hub off you will have to loosen the allen bolt on the wheel bearing nut and remove the nut and then pull the hub/rotor off. If you dont have an impact gun you will have to put the hub in a vice so it won't turn when your trying to get the rotor bolts off. Remember to locktite the rotor bolts on when you are putting it back together.
Jon

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
You can also bolt the wheel and tire back on to the hub assembly, have someone hold the wheel down while you use a breaker bar to loosen the rotor bolts. Or, you can use a propane torch heat the hub between the rotor bolts. Heat helped me loosen those bolts.

I did not put loctite back on. My Nissan 4x4 has the same set up, and the factory did not use loctite.

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes 300D
81 Posts
ok so i have the caliper off, the bearing cap and then the bearings...the front rotor still will not come off. it wobbles back and forth but will not come off...any ideas am i missing something??? Also i do not see allen bolts behind the rotor. Any words of advice would be appreciated. and so would a quick response. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts