Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both foglights have been broken and I just picked up replacements at MB ($157 each btw). I REFUSE to pay for these again and am looking for some sort of plastic cover that I can fit over the foglight. Any ideas as to what might fill the bill, even with modifications?

I think '93 Firebird Trans Am foglight covers will work but can't seem to find them. I don't want plastic film because at 80 mph, the underlying glass will surely break.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RonJeffries - 5/12/2005 9:41 PM

after i put film on my car's headlights, i never broke one again. my guess is it's a good solution.
Somehow I don't think film stuck to the glass is going to stop the glass from breaking when hit with 80 mph debris. I want some space between the foglight and its protection.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
We Need To Monitor This...

It's possible that the 55's lenses are shattering due to heat buildup -- a design flaw. Probably not, but I still don't see any evidence of a stone hit on the lens of mine that is shattered.

CP1, can you see an obvious point on your lenses where a stone has impacted the lens leading to the failure?

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: We Need To Monitor This...

slk55er - 5/13/2005 1:08 PM

It's possible that the 55's lenses are shattering due to heat buildup -- a design flaw. Probably not, but I still don't see any evidence of a stone hit on the lens of mine that is shattered.

CP1, can you see an obvious point on your lenses where a stone has impacted the lens leading to the failure?
The fog lights only come on when the doors are unlocked. Other than that, they are off. You can see the point of impact of whatever took out the lens. I think I can fabricate a cover from something plastic and circular, like the bottom of a plastic container that is the right diameter.

Wimbledon_SLK - Man, you're really in trouble if you think that's a condom!! [:0]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
RE: We Need To Monitor This...

CP1 - 5/14/2005 2:29 PM

Wimbledon_SLK - Man, you're really in trouble if you think that's a condom!! [:0]
It's been a cold month in the UK[:X]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts