Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a place (dealership or not) that is willing to disable the TPMS system in our cars? The warning light has been on for years and it's starting to drive me nuts. I don't really want to replace it since I don't use the system anyway. I tried calling the dealerships in the area, but haven't found one that's willing to do it yet. Please let me know if you can help!

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech Stage 2
67 Posts
Dealerships won't do it because it is against the law to disable the TPM system. If you can find an indy with a Star tool, it can be done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealerships won't do it because it is against the law to disable the TPM system. If you can find an indy with a Star tool, it can be done.
I called a bunch of independent mercedes repair shops with tools and none of them claim they can do it. Something about how mercedes doesn't sell all the codes to them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they have a Star C3 or C4 it can be done. I have a C3 and can turn it off or on. It is under the development mode.

·
Registered
2003 500 SL
94 Posts
TPMS

Mercedes dealership quoted $ 2,300.00 to repair the system. I bought the sensors from O&E Wheel for $ 168.00 and my friendly tire dealership installed them for $ 20.00. $ 200.00 to have all systems working seems like a bargain to me. Happy Trails.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can confirm that anyone with a Star C3 can do it, and it does NOT require Developer Mode.

I don't remember the exact steps, but I believe I went into the "IC - Instrument Cluster" module and changed Tire Pressure from 'Present' to 'Not Present'. That disabled it permanently.

Note that there is nothing in the TPMS module that will disable it (within Star). You need to do it in the Instrument Cluster module.

Took me 2 mins to disable it. I didn't get Developer Mode until 9 months later, so for sure I did it without Dev Mod.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that I think about it, you are correct.

I can confirm that anyone with a Star C3 can do it, and it does NOT require Developer Mode.

I don't remember the exact steps, but I believe I went into the "IC - Instrument Cluster" module and changed Tire Pressure from 'Present' to 'Not Present'. That disabled it permanently.

Note that there is nothing in the TPMS module that will disable it (within Star). You need to do it in the Instrument Cluster module.

Took me 2 mins to disable it. I didn't get Developer Mode until 9 months later, so for sure I did it without Dev Mod.

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 1996 E300 Diesel, 1959 220SE, 1965 Unimog 404.115-Sold
311 Posts
I took my 2007 to an indy and had it disabled for $175.00. They told me that they would not disable any 2008 or newer car as it is a safety item.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
I took my 2007 to an indy and had it disabled for $175.00. They told me that they would not disable any 2008 or newer car as it is a safety item.
Its a safety item on any car... they wont disable it on 2008+ because it was federally mandated at that point...

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
2 systems in use here the direct system with the senders in the valves, they are a pain if you change the wheels but dead easy to delete in STAR and takes no more than 20 mins max

most newer cars have the indirect system where the speed signal is taken from all 4 wheels, this is part of the car and never any need to remove it, it is possible to added it to some cars that do not have it from new 203's from about 2004/5 can be done with ease.

·
10,293 Posts
2 systems in use here the direct system with the senders in the valves, they are a pain if you change the wheels but dead easy to delete in STAR and takes no more than 20 mins max

most newer cars have the indirect system where the speed signal is taken from all 4 wheels, this is part of the car and never any need to remove it, it is possible to added it to some cars that do not have it from new 203's from about 2004/5 can be done with ease.
All SL generations use central unit, the first gen 2003- mid 2005 used an antenna per wheel.

2006-2010 used central unit and single central antenna

2010-2012 used 3 antennas, 2 front, and one center.

All of these models can exclude the option by disconnecting the central unit (in the trunk, left side) and disabling the option in IC (instrument cluster) using initial setup for the module, using SDS, C3, or C4, and DAS

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
All SL generations use central unit, the first gen 2003- mid 2005 used an antenna per wheel.

2006-2010 used central unit and single central antenna

2010-2012 used 3 antennas, 2 front, and one center.

All of these models can exclude the option by disconnecting the central unit (in the trunk, left side) and disabling the option in IC (instrument cluster) using initial setup for the module, using SDS, C3, or C4, and DAS
I found something interesting in WIS in a section for some other fault and it said that some of the early tyre pressure ECU can give a whole series of CAN faults, nothing mentioned in the correct section, it escapes me now for the codes.

I turned mine off on my early car car years ago, my 2009 one uses the indirect system

To disconnect the early ECU you only need to remove the one top screw and the liner will pull in just enough to enable you to pull the plug out using a hook, the ECU is White, so easy to recognize.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Its a safety item on any car... they wont disable it on 2008+ because it was federally mandated at that point...
You might consider it a safety issue on any car, but I have been checking my own tire pressure for over 30 years without having sensors in the wheels and never had any issues. People are just getting too lazy and want computers to tell them when anything needs to be maintained.

·
10,293 Posts
I don't think you get the point of the system, Yes, an added value to monitor slow leaks over time, and yes you can overcome these leaks by monitoring manually, as what you ve been doing for the last 30 years

However, the main goal of the system is to buy you 30-45 seconds of awareness, should you have a puncture while going 100mph. That could be the difference between "slowing down and pulling over to replace a tire", and "losing control and flipping over a few times"

From personal experience, if I had this on my R129 10 years ago, I would've saved myself a chewed lip on a rare $5000 BBS/Mercedes (Alberio), when I didn't realize I had a puncture, until there was no pressure left, and the wheel touched the ground...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think you get the point of the system, Yes, an added value to monitor slow leaks over time, and yes you can overcome these leaks by monitoring manually, as what you ve been doing for the last 30 years

However, the main goal of the system is to buy you 30-45 seconds of awareness, should you have a puncture while going 100mph. That could be the difference between "slowing down and pulling over to replace a tire", and "losing control and flipping over a few times"

From personal experience, if I had this on my R129 10 years ago, I would've saved myself a chewed lip on a rare $5000 BBS/Mercedes (Alberio), when I didn't realize I had a puncture, until there was no pressure left, and the wheel touched the ground...
If you believe a blowout will take 30 to 45 seconds to deflate I wish you luck, but the only time I had a tire blow out on the freeway as soon as I heard the noise the tire was flat there was no delay so the system would be useless. Plus since having the system sound the alarm and turn my cluster red telling me a tire was flat and I pulled over right away only to find nothing wrong and that happened twice so I would never trust a system that runs on batteries. Maybe for a slow leak it might work but I think people are getting too lazy needing computers to tell them when maintenance is due.

·
10,293 Posts
If you believe a blowout will take 30 to 45 seconds to deflate I wish you luck, but the only time I had a tire blow out on the freeway as soon as I heard the noise the tire was flat there was no delay so the system would be useless. Plus since having the system sound the alarm and turn my cluster red telling me a tire was flat and I pulled over right away only to find nothing wrong and that happened twice so I would never trust a system that runs on batteries. Maybe for a slow leak it might work but I think people are getting too lazy needing computers to tell them when maintenance is due.
Not sure where you read the word "blowout" in my reply, if you blow a tire at high speed, and throw a tread, your best bet is to say a prayer... no computer will help you in that case (other than maybe ESP)... :crying

I was talking about punctures; the most common type of tire failure. A nail in a rotating tire will typically take several minutes to deflate, as centrifugal force pushes the tire away from rim, and tread plies together, somewhat sealing the hole around the foreign body (nail/screw)...

The TPMS by design, will alert the driver of losses higher than 2-3PSI, within 30 seconds intervals (update intervals), so 30 seconds or less...

Have you ever taken the stem from a stem valve? how long does it take to completely deflate? was it instant??

Air leaking around a nail in a rotating tire, through steel belts and rubber layers is much slower than that... and this is all by design...

Sorry that you dont believe in technology evolution, if turning TPMS is wise in your opinion, by all means, yank it out of your car. I wouldn't accept however your claim that the system is pointless, or driven by laziness... trust me, manufacturers are not increasing the cost of making every car by almost a grand for a useless system, there is a lot of benefits thereof...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts