Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family friend is offering to sell me a 1998 E320 with 24,000 miles for a song. I have been driving it for a while already and we are getting an intermittent "Check Engine Electronics" light. For 6 weeks the light would flash for a few seconds about once every 15 drives. Then, this weekend the light came on and stayed on for three full drive cycles. And I have not seen it Monday or Tuesday.

AutoZone pulled the codes for the engine light, however their computer only showed what the codes mean for BMW and VW.

It appears to be a problem with the heated oxygen sensors. I don't know what this means and am looking for help with a few questions.

Must I immediately fix the problem because it unsafe to drive the vehicle with these alerts or I risk causing significant further damage to the car?

AutoZone quoted me $77 for a bank 1 and bank 2 oxygen sensor. Can anyone provide me with a ball-park estimate for the labor involved in such a repair?

If I could buy the car for $5,000 but must invest $1,000+ into this repair it will impact my purchase decision somewhat.

Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Your best ever investment on buying any used MB is to find a local expereinced MB independent mechanic and have him to a Pre Purcahse Inspection which will run about $250 for like a 2 /12 hr or 3 hr detailed inspection and report.

The Autozone red indicates that the most likely problem at the moment is with the Mass Air Flow Sensor (which is called MAF for short).

There should be a "stickie" above in the forum, you can follow the procedure to remove and "clean" the MAF with CRC MAF cleaning spray (don't use anything else) - and also replace the aged air filter.

If you have the owners manual for the car which outlines the reset procedures after the battery is disconnected, with the code for the radio to reset that, best to unplug the battery for the MAF change so that will reset the computer for the cleaned MAF, and the codes will self-destruct.

If you don't have that, then it will take several 8-15 "drive cycles" to see if the codes will disappear.

The MAF cleaning and air filter replacement should take care of the issue for now -with that low milage the air filter needs replacement, and something contaminated the MAF probably some silicone engine spray or the like.

You should not have to replace the MAF (like $145).

The PPI for like $250 will be the very BEST investment you will ever make.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge. I will do some internet research and follow your advice.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
I'd fix the problem following the order of the codes read out by the OBD reader.
If the P0133 is read out first, replace the O2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 1), it's located on the same side as cylinder 1.
The labor: The direct fit O2 sensor is just a matter of disconnecting the plug, unscrew the old sensor, screw, then connect the plug of the new sensor. 10 minute job with this socket.

The universal sensor requires some cutting to fit, it's more work with the so-called posi-lock design (at least 1 hour).
Hey, that's not my hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following the above advice I reviewed the maintenance record from 8/27/10 when Mercedez-Benz Manhattan performed a FSS A Service for us and changed the oil, oil filter, replaced the air filter (said it was very dirty) and conducted a fuel injection and induction system cleaning.

I actually got the "Check Engine Electronics" light for the first time the day after we picked it up from Mercedez of Manhattan when they conducted the above service and NY State inspection for $1,052. I called my service advisor every other day for two weeks to ask him about the light and the codes but he wouldn't even call me back!

Does what they Mercedez Manhattan call "fuel injection and induction system cleaning" on my invoice mean that they cleaned the MAF? Or could that be different?

Also, if they replaced the air filter 5 weeks ago is it still possible that the MAF cleaning could solve my problem?

Finally, is it dangerous to drive the vehicle for another 1,000 miles before conducting the MAF cleaning? Is there increased risk of accident or serious damage to the vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Well, you have a new air filter - to the good.

On the MAF cleaning, the dealer did something different, the MAF cleaner is like $10 and the process pulling andf cleaning the MAF takes about 20 min, plus another 30 min for the MAF to dry.

You got screwed by the dealer, really, they pumped a injection cleaner into the system, a different thing, and has nothing to do with the MAF.

Keep the beat !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts