Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'06 ML 350, '00 E320 Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm investigating putting a set of '03 slk230 wheels on my '00 e320 for mounting winter tires.

The numbers of the slk230 wheels are:
MB part # A170 401 02 02
Size # 7Jx16H2ET37
Lug # 000 990 4807

My e320 wheel #s are:
Size # 7.5Jx16H2ET41
Lug size # M12x1.5x40

Basically, does anyone know if I can make these work on my car? I've read the STICKIES, and perhaps I missed something. But, I can't seem to find whether or not the lug bolts that I have will work interchangeably on these rims. I read in the STICKIES that a "slight offset" difference from stock is acceptable, but can someone quantify "slight" for me? Is the difference from 41 to 37 slight, and again will the lug bolts work?

Thanks in advance for helping and engaging in conversation. I called my local dealer and they weren't too much help.

N8

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Assuming the SLK wheels are alloys, they should fit without modification and you should be able to use your stock lug bolts. I'm about 95% sure on both of those, but hey, it's free advice, so no promises. Also, you will want to use your W210 tire sizes on the SLK wheels.

However, if your present lug bolts are those infernal extended-shank things, buy a new set.

One additional caveat: be sure the SLK wheels are all the same size. IIRC the SLK came stock with staggered wheels, which could upset this apple cart. In that case you will have to figure out staggered sizes to fit your chassis, and you will not be able to rotate them. In that case I'd buy some really nice and sticky tires for these wheels and use them for summer, then mount the ice & snow tires on the stock W210 wheels.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I'd not put SLK230 wheels on E320 because
1. The whole SLK itself weighs less. Are the wheels made for heavier car?
2. The smaller 7" versus 7.5" widths. The handling will be compromised.

·
Registered
'06 ML 350, '00 E320 Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check Codes and mbvis thanks for your input!

When I look at one of the posts on the STICKY for wheels and tires I found that the W210 offered wheel widths from 6.5 - 8 and offsets from 37 - 41. I'd really like to believe that these wheels will work, but I think the suggestion to check for the staggered wheel sizes is a good one.

Any further things to look out for? I was thinking the narrower tire width might actually be a benefit in the winter especially with some good grippers on there!

N8

Thanks for the help, you guys are the best!

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,582 Posts

When I look at one of the posts on the STICKY for wheels and tires I found that the W210 offered wheel widths from 6.5 - 8 and offsets from 37 - 41. I'd really like to believe that these wheels will work, but I think the suggestion to check for the staggered wheel sizes is a good one.

Any further things to look out for? I was thinking the narrower tire width might actually be a benefit in the winter especially with some good grippers on there!

N8

The wheel might be narrower...doesn't mean the tyre must be.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

N8

If they are staggered wheels, I'd think you are far better off relegating them to non-winter use. Bottom line to me: if you want to buy something for winter use, find another set that are not staggered. Re: the other concern...the E weighs about 700 lbs more than the 170, which is about 175 lbs per wheel...not a lot, in other words. Given the significant loads the SLK can generate on corners, etc., I can't believe the wheels wouldn't otherwise be fine on the E, unless you're planning some serious track days. Then you might want to worry. ;)

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts