Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
87 300TD, 95 S280 (Diesel Conversion 2.9L Turbo OM602)
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently bought an 85 190e 2.3
this is my first merc so i don't know much about the brand... anyway, i saw electrical wires going into the front brake calipers, what are they for? ABS? does my car have ABS? i know the car isn't injected, how does the carb work? is it electronically controlled? does the car have a "computerized brain"? what about the locks, are they vacuum controlled or motor driven? and do any of you know any sites which cover body style changes throughout the model years? and what kind of external trims: bumpers, skirts etc are available. coz the car came with a free rear bumper that seems to have a skirt, and it has the BBS logo stamped on it.
as i said, i don't know much about the brand, i'm used to working with chevy v8s, the mechanical kind. thanks for any info guys.

· Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
687 Posts
190E answers

Wires to the calipers are for wear sensors. Brings on warning light when pads are getting thin.

Not sure if '85 has ABS. Look for unit in engine bay with numerous brake pipes and ABS moulded into plastic cover. Alternatively, find quiet road, check rear view mirror and jump on brakes. No lock-up and pulsating pedal means ABS.

190 was carby. 190E is injected. Bosch KE-Jetronic (someone correct me if '85 was just K-Jet). Continuous multi-point mechanical with electronic fine control of mixture and idle speed.

Central locking by way of pneumatics. Pressure and vacuum from electric pump.

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
I have an '85 2.3E. If you have a US spec 190, it's fuel injected since they didn't bring...

I have an '85 2.3E. If you have a US spec 190, it's fuel injected since they didn't bring the carb models over since they didn't meet Fed emissions. The air cleaner and throttle body make it look like a carb.

ABS was possibly an option, but became standard after '85, as well as an airbag.

There are quite a few 190 sites worldwide. As for body styles, check this one:
http://www.geocities.com/shvoldum/

For 190 specific forum discussions:

http://azure.bbboy.net/190revolution

Have fun with the "kinder" benz. It's not as complicated as other MB's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.