Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500, Blue
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering is anyone knows where I can find some 16 in. wheels for my 2000 G500 Wagon. I spoke with Europa who said they ate $619 a piece (which they appoligized for and suggested I look elsewhere because they thought $619 was way too much but thats what they had to charge).
I know that gelendelkraft had some before they closed and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I know this should be posted in the wanted section of the site, but I don't know if people actually go to it yet.

Thanks,
Oliver

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
since your on the east coast, you can go through Sean of Eurotruck. He posts occasionally and i think sells the g320 wheel (Atik model) in the low 300's. If your looking for the g500 styled one i think it's still gonna be like 600.

There's also a Borbet CW or CWD that's et43 just like nwere 18's that DiehardG runs in japan. That wheel is TUV cert'd for the G-500 but most distributors don't want to sell it to you becuase they don't think it's for the g-500. A different offset model (et50 which doesn't clear the brakes) is available from tirerack for the dodge sprinter if you just want to see what it looks like... tirerack sells it for $209... but remember the et50 version doesn't clear the brakes, i tried.

·
Registered
03G500,93400sel
73 Posts
I recently settled things with MBNA for an extended warranty (to 100,000 miles) plus a little extra, so I decided to keep my G. It is what I always wanted I just did not think it came with so many problems.

Anyway, my stock bling tires are just about baloney skins and I need new tires.
I have been following this forum for a while and did a search of past posts,,, I found a lot of talk,
but has any one actually installed stock sprinter rims….if so what size tires… any pictures???

I may have the capability to get a set of the rims used on the 461s used by the Marines… will they fit on my 463??

I know this subject has been beat to death and the answers may already be posted, but I spent a good time clicking around and really did not find anything conclusive.

Any help will be appreciated… I know there are a few other tire options that will fit on my rims but I want mud terrains

Thanks

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Set of Chuck' Wheels

Brian had a set of Chuck's wheels for sale. You might check to see if he still has them.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195815&posts=12&fid=30

Bruce

·
Registered
03G500,93400sel
73 Posts
Thanks for the link …who is chuck???… he seems like he is the local G wagon drug dealer,,, he’s got what we all want

·
Registered
2000 G500, Blue
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harald,

Thank you, your are an incredible resource for those of us starting off in the G world. I am going to call up Eurotruck on monday as they seem to be the best place for the G320 style Atik wheels.

·
Registered
02 G500
63 Posts
I agree with Harald. I went through the same heartache with my 02. I went with the Mercedes 16" wheels and didn't mess with anything else. Also went with BF AT 265-70-16. A great set-up! Now I am looking for a soft spare tire cover.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
JamesG - 4/24/2005 10:41 PM

I agree with Harald. I went through the same heartache with my 02. I went with the Mercedes 16" wheels and didn't mess with anything else. Also went with BF AT 265-70-16. A great set-up! Now I am looking for a soft spare tire cover.
What happen to your metal cover??

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Mike G. - 4/25/2005 6:19 PM
After the tire swap his steel cover no longer fits
Didn't he switched to the same sized tire?? He has the same size tire as what i have...and the steel cover still fits.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Does it? I thought that diameter was too large for the ring, guess not. I know my 265/75R16's definitely don't fit in the stock G500 chrome band. I've thrown a 245/75R16 or something like that on the rear of my 280GE to maintain the complete look the spare provides. I've got a set of 33" Procomp XTerrain's on the way, but will keep the small spare for aesthetics.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
the plastic cover is lighter too which means less long term wear on the hinges and latches... though i do like the chrome cover myself too, but mine is just collecting dust in the garage right now. My cosmetic preferences are loosing the war against my engineering sensibilities on this particular issue... Since i'm planning a 5 tires rotation in a mild climate, i'm having a hard time bothering with any cover at all.

i can't remember who makes the cover, but chances are the cover can be bought to fit larger tires... though it might start to get a little silly.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Of course you can run it without the cover, you don't have the rusty 16" steelies I do! [;)]
Weight may be a concern, however the 460 tire mount on trucks equipped with double-doors is obviously much stronger than the 463 door mount. When restoring the body panels I found that mine attaches at 3 heavily re-enforced locations, the upper right taking the grunt of the weight.
Plus Harald has been running 33+ tires on the rear of his trucks for years, so I'd take that as evidence they can support some decent weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Come on...the steel spare cover does not weigh THAT MUCH to even think about stressing the mounting on the door! Hell, you shouldn't even think about putting on AT or MT tires because the increase weight from these tires will surely tear your rear door apart!![:D] Better watch out for bird crap too...that can weigh quite a bit!

If our G rear cargo door cannot handle the tremendous weight of the steel cover, then i am trading in my G for a Yugo!

Sorry to be so sarcastic...but you guys are killing me![:p]

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
MarcO - 4/25/2005 7:52 PM

Steel Cover definitely still fits but the soft black vinyl one causes less noise and is more durable. JMHO
Well, IMHO, anything other than the OEM steel cover is ugly and not very classy. Vinyl or plastic cover does not belong on a Mercedes, especially the newer looking ones! Yes, i am superficial when it comes to my spare tire cover!![:D]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
rear door getting loose.

Haven't i read several times about the rear door hinges wearing out? I thought the rear door getting loose was not too strange for a 20 year old truck.

Extra weight of tire is useful. Spare tire cover isn't useful.

I do think the cover looks nice... have you considered polishing your 16's to match? It might actually look nice on the black body with the chrome tire cover.. and spiff up those rims a little... talk about something that doesn't look good on the newer g500's. [;)] I don't think polishing the 16's would work on any other body color.

More than anything I probably shouldn't worry because i've finally received the factory grease fitting to install in all my hinges. That should make a bigger difference more than anything. Since i want to run something at least slightly wider than 265's i don't think i'll have the option to keep the cover no matter what.

I'm not concerned about the rear door falling off or getting loose in 100k miles, or 150k. 300k miles here i come... maybe i'll race hipine to 500k... at the rate i drive hitting 500k should take me about 20 years... which is at least 5 years before i plan to sell ... god, i don't want to think about that gas bill.[;)]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts