Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP... Who knows what code P0015 means?? UPDATE- NOW "SURGING" & LOSING POWER??

Check engine light came on in my wife's 2006 E350 4matic yesterday.... Stayed on all of yesterday and part of today... Tonight, after I cranked it to take it to Autozone to run a diagnostic on it, the check engine light does not appear any longer... Had them check anyway and see if it threw a code, and P0015 popped up... Anyone know what this means??? Here's what the printout they gave me states....

Definition: Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1

Explaination: Open or Short Circuit Condition

Probable Cause: Timing Belt Jumped Teeth
Failed Camshaft Actuator- resistance 10-20 ohms
Blocked Oil Passage

Any suggestions on what I should do next? If there's really a problem, wouldn't the Check Engine Light stay on? Since it's back off again, could this be a false read and nothing to worry about... Need advice.... Thanks...

·
Registered
2006 E350
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reviving this thread.... Today, on her way home, my wife called and said the car was "surging" forward at slow speeds, then at around 40 mph, said it felt like it was gearing down and was going to stall (sounds like it was going into limp home mode??)

No codes came up, so I told her to turn off the ignition and restart the car.... Drove home fine from there.... Once she got home, I took it up the road and seemed to drive fine to me....Could this have something to do with the CODE P0015 that came on about three weeks ago? The check engine light went back off so I assumed it was just a false reading.... Any help or suggestions??

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
Neil,

That probable cause you gave (and probably from AZ) is for VW not the MB although P0015 is a [generic] cam timing related DTC. Something is intermittently happening (reason why CEL goes out/on) -- could be an actuator or sensor. Hard to tell without troubleshooting the code which will require documentation from either MB or aftermarkets like Mitchell OnDemand or AllDataDIY and possibly the factory scan tool (might be able to get away with a DMM).

Regards,
paul...

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,508 Posts
This is stating that the gas had something to with it.... Premium Unleaded 93 octane is always used in this car, so I am pretty sure this isn't a fuel related problem.
M272 (350) up to engine # 2729..30 759427 and M273 (550) to 2739..30 193592 - engines produced after #s listed are already equipped with improved part.

Engine has four camshaft-adjustment solenoids (magnet) that in your case (intermittent CEL)“may” need to be replaced with modified part 2720510177 (for comparison shopping, parts.com $16.10). PM email address for replacement instructions, include VIN if you want engine # confirmation.

·
Registered
2006 E350
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neil,

That probable cause you gave (and probably from AZ) is for VW not the MB although P0015 is a [generic] cam timing related DTC. Something is intermittently happening (reason why CEL goes out/on) -- could be an actuator or sensor. Hard to tell without troubleshooting the code which will require documentation from either MB or aftermarkets like Mitchell OnDemand or AllDataDIY and possibly the factory scan tool (might be able to get away with a DMM).

Regards,
paul...
Paul- Thanks for the reply... So, you're saying the the P0015 code (and you're right, it was from AutoZone) really doesn't tell me anything and it needs to be hooked up to a MB diagnostic scanner?

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
Paul- Thanks for the reply... So, you're saying the the P0015 code (and you're right, it was from AutoZone) really doesn't tell me anything and it needs to be hooked up to a MB diagnostic scanner?
Regardless of what AZ tells their customers, when the CEL comes on it means that the PCM isn't getting the correct response from a sensor/subsystem -- it rarely tells you what part to replace (this is a simplified statement as there's more to it). When a code is read, the diagnostic procedure (also called the diagnostic tree) needs to be followed to isolate what exactly is the problem. Many times this requires the factory scan tool or an aftermarket tool that can communicate with the vehicles subsystems. There are also times when the diags tree tells you what voltages you should have (under various conditions) at what points, and you can test this with an inexpensive DMM (digital multimeter). I've fixed many a CEL with this approach.

Also, you may want to take advantage of Konigstiger's offer as he has a lot of info (procedures, data, etc) and has helped out many a person here (including me!).

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
2006 E350
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M272 (350) up to engine # 2729..30 759427 and M273 (550) to 2739..30 193592 - engines produced after #s listed are already equipped with improved part.

Engine has four camshaft-adjustment solenoids (magnet) that in your case (intermittent CEL)“may” need to be replaced with modified part 2720510177 (for comparison shopping, parts.com $16.10). PM email address for replacement instructions, include VIN if you want engine # confirmation.
PM sent.... Thanks for the help....Look forward to your reply.

·
Registered
2006 E350
2 Posts

\

Hi konigstiger,

I have the same issue on my 2006 E350. Can I PM email address to you for eplacement instructions?

Thanks!

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
Richard please do not shoot the messenger.

If the replacement of the cam sensors do not fix the car then you may have a car suffering from a soft balance shaft problem.

What codes are present? All 2006 cars with the M272 engine have a about 20-30% chance of having the balance shaft
being soft and going bad. It can be a $5000-7000 repair. However MB made a court settlement in a class action suit.
You may be able to get the price knocked down at least 30% for the repair or even more. It depends on age and mileage
of the car.
If you Google Mercedes soft balance shaft class action settlement you will know the parameters of what MB will pay for if
your car is actually suffering from the soft balance shaft issue.

·
Registered
2006 E350
2 Posts
Thank your for the reply and info Noodles. I am aware of the settlement. However the only code coming up on reader is p0015 and the check engine light comes on at times, stays on for a day or two and have been driving it like that for about a year. Car is not acting up at all except for the need of oil every 2 months. I am hoping that my car don't currently need that balance shaft replacement as I don't have the money to do that repair right now.

Richard please do not shoot the messenger.

If the replacement of the cam sensors do not fix the car then you may have a car suffering from a soft balance shaft problem.

What codes are present? All 2006 cars with the M272 engine have a about 20-30% chance of having the balance shaft
being soft and going bad. It can be a $5000-7000 repair. However MB made a court settlement in a class action suit.
You may be able to get the price knocked down at least 30% for the repair or even more. It depends on age and mileage
of the car.
If you Google Mercedes soft balance shaft class action settlement you will know the parameters of what MB will pay for if
your car is actually suffering from the soft balance shaft issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts