Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace the alternator belt and went about trying to remove the air pump belt to get access and I stripped the hex bolt loosening bolt to remove the air pump belt.(5mm) Now what?????!!!!!!!!!!

I cant get the tensioner loose now to get the belt on/off and more importantly stripped the bolt.

Crap.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
If this is an Allen screw, try using a bit dipped in an abrasive cleaner product, I use some of the penetrating fluid that drips down as a means to hold the stuff on to the tip.

Or perhaps use a larger size Torx bit, banged in to get a grip.

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,811 Posts
As a final resort if nothing else works, you can have a shop weld a 5mm hex head socket to the stripped bolt head and it will come out for sure. You waste a socket, but win the battle.

Al

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
You can buy an extractor socket that has a very corse left hand thread inside of it. They come in sets for each size. They sell them at NAPA, Sears and all the tool trucks. I have never had one fail to work and most of the time I use it with an impact air tool. This might give you an idea of what I am talking about. You might want to find them locally I you need it fast.
Try this link this place has the best price I have been able to find on quality tools online.
http://www.tsitool.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=LIS19250

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
Its just a socket that fits on a 3.8 ratchet. I dont see why that wouldn't work. I wonder what he was using when it striped?

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is #4 above. I was using an allen wrench. The screw is stuck in there good and I stripped the bolt (#4).

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
If you are in a state that doesn't have a smog check just cut the belt off and forget about it. Mine hasn't had a belt on it in ages and the car runs great without it.

In the future use plenty of PB Blaster to soak into the rust before you try removing rusted bolts. Some have sworn that using coca cola as a penetrant works very well on rusted bolts too.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
I stripped the same bolt. How did you finally get it off?

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
I stripped the same bolt. How did you finally get it off?
Tried getting the 5MM bolt out again today to no avail. There is no room for a drill so I guess I will have to get a allen socket welded in and try removing it that way. Is there a way to remove the air pump while still mounted to the bracket? If the pump were out of the car then I could drill and use an easy out. Before I try all this I will take it to my indy to see if he has delt with this before.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts