Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found this small black rubber piece. It is mostly round like a Tootsie roll, has tiny felt on one side, straight grooves on the opposite side. There is an opening slit which makes it appear to get inserted onto something to act as a gasket most likely to protect something rubbing against something else. But I can't seem to find where in the world it may have come off. It was in the trunk so it has to be something related to the trunk lid, vario-roof, or perhaps the roof cover? Here are three low quality snap shots from my webcam. Can anyone tell? What should I do? My SLK still drives and I don't really notice much difference other than the normal creaks as she's gotten a little older. Could this have been used to help tighten up something so there was less creaking?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Hmm... go and take a look way towards the end of the trunk, towards the top part. If I remember correctly, there's two pieces like this which attach to the hidden side of the black piece which is between the trunk and your roll-bars.

The other one might still be there, so won't be too hard to figure out where to attach the other one.

I never found the use for those pieces, but I think they're there so that the larger piece doesn't vibrate when the roof is up.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
There should be 2 of these, one on either side. I believe they attach directly to the shelf. Look for the other one and make that one match or you may already be missing one and will have to get a replacement. I took a couple of pictures which should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Thanks a ton for the help! This is why I love this forum....

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Interesting, there is no zinc chromate on your Magnesium cover plate...

My '98 230 had it on the mag parts to prevent corrosion. I'll have to look and see if my '32 is painted or not.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Happened to me too on my previous '99 SLK. the pics the others posted should help.

·
Registered
1999 230 SLK
32 Posts
Ok - now I'm really confused - I have a 1999 230 SLK with the sport package. Looking under the lid in front of the trunk I don't see anything that looks like what is pictured here. It seems like the cover ends right were these rubber parts would be mounted. Is there a different lid for early SLKs? Mine was deliverred in late 1998.....
I'm trying to diagnose a squeak in the top when it is down that appears to be coming from behind the passenger side roll bar.
Any ideas??????
Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
All the R170's are the same. The photo's were taken from inside the trunk looking up and forward. The pictures show the bottom of the plate with the little "wings" that move up as the roof opens and closes.... Does that help?

·
Registered
1999 230 SLK
32 Posts
Found it - I was looking with the roof down and the strip that the rubber pieces are on is only visible when the top is up. Thanks!
(but now that i know I have both rubber pieces - I'm STILL trying to find the source of that rattle! )
oh well....still a blast to drive!

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Try moving the rubber strips around .....

If you move the strips to different locations the rattle may stop... [;)]

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
813 Posts
16falcon - 4/21/2005 3:01 PM

There should be 2 of these, one on either side. I believe they attach directly to the shelf. Look for the other one and make that one match or you may already be missing one and will have to get a replacement. I took a couple of pictures which should help.
Anyone have a PN for this rubber piece? Upon inspection, I too am missing one, and I can't find it on the parts diagram. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
813 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts