Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here
I have just finished restoring a 190e 1989 and the last thing to do was reinstall the door cards however when i went to attach the rear door cards and fix the interior handle (where the door opener lever is) the door bolt had nothing to fix to, it was just a 6mm hole in the door panel. There seems to be an obvious slot under hole that looks as though it houses some form of clip or retainer. I looked at both doors and the doors from my donor car and there are no retainer clips or anything obvious. I am pulling my hair out as out of four rear doors none have an obvious answer. I have hunted high and low and nothing seems to fit from the various clips I have. Does anyone have a picture of the location and/or part or part number of what these bolts fix into.

Cheers Al

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,618 Posts
The top of the handle or the bottom?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply

It is the top part as the bottom is molded and part of the door card. Its where the handle connects behind the small plastic cap. I have attached some photos.

Picture of door handle IMG_9369.jpg

Picture of where handle is bolted to door, you can see the slot under the hole. IMG_9367.jpg
Picture of door card
IMG_9368.jpg

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,618 Posts
It has been a while since I pulled off my cards to clean-up back there to grease things up, however my recollection is that it is just fastened by a bold and a nut. The nut might be welded on, but probably does not need to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has been a while since I pulled off my cards to clean-up back there to grease things up, however my recollection is that it is just fastened by a bold and a nut. The nut might be welded on, but probably does not need to be.
Out of the 4 doors I have none have a welded nut on the other side. There is no way to hold it there when reinstalling the door card unless you use bluetak to hold it temporarily. It is just so fustrating as the front doors have a standard clip which the bolt goes into but I can't imagine that out of 4 rear doors i have, at least one clip is not still there or a nut sitting in the bottom of the door panel. There has to be something I'm missing here.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
I've never paid particular attention to that, but looks like there's supposed to be a clip nut there that must've fallen out at some point. Will look more/less like this but probably gold cad plated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never paid particular attention to that, but looks like there's supposed to be a clip nut there that must've fallen out at some point. Will look more/less like this but probably gold cad plated.

Thats what I was expecting, they only way to install it would be sliding it through the slot from the inside. Just strange that none of the doors have a stray clip and I was diligent at putting all fixings in plastic bags from each area.

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
Strange but I do not remember a clip nut like that at all. Certainly, nothing that can come off easily. Memory must be fading.
Or it is "a year of manufacture" difference.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
There's no clip, at least on the 89 models. It's just a threaded bolt hole in the actual door frame. Shine a flashlight in there and you should see a bolt hole somewhere.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,977 Posts
There's no clip, at least on the 89 models. It's just a threaded bolt hole in the actual door frame. Shine a flashlight in there and you should see a bolt hole somewhere.
Ditto that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have shone a light in and felt around and both do not have a threaded bolt hole. Here are the pictures from outside looking at the hole, inside looking where some form of clip was and one with the bolt in the hole (bit blurry). Confirmig it is a Mercedes 190e 1.8L W201 1989 (donor is 1990 but same spec). It is so strange, you can see where some form of clip was but it it is not anywhere to be seen, I can't see how it would have fallen out, guess I will keep looking or make a clip myself
Outside
Inside
Inside with bolt sitting in hole

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The handle bolts onto the window regulator.
Thanks SEC 506, I just found that out last night. I didn't have the regulators in as I was checking the door cards all fitted correctly. If anyone comes across this post with the same question here is a picture of the top of the regulator, the metal tab slots into the door panel and the interior door handle is bolted through the door panel into the threaded hole on the regulator. Cheers Al

·
W201 Moderator
2,618 Posts
Mystery solved! Happy ending for all....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts